New headlights from the swap meet!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmlcolorado

Picked up a set of headlights from the swap meet today. Hoping someone here might know what their off of.
The glass says Chevrolet at the top, then the bottom says Tilt Ray Headlamp.
I didn't know it when I bought them, but there is a small bulb socket near the top of the lens.

3 vendors at the swap meet guess between 32 and 34 chevy car. I'm really hoping to have them fall in the 30's decade so as to keep the All Era Rat theme :D

681d2ca9.jpg

abcf68b9.jpg

Upside down:
1b577362.jpg

Tilt Ray
Headlamp
Guide
4c7db61b.jpg

Another upside down photo
Chevrolet
89bb4f1e.jpg

tiltray is the name of the actual glass...
but - i think chevy switched the style of lights around 38 or 39 - so
without having them to look at in my hand id say with confidence they are pre 39.

My guess is 35 or 36 because of the curved lens. Seems the olders were flatter and the newer 37,8,9 had a longer shape bucket,but I could be wrong.lol :D

Definitely '36 or earlier. '36 was the last year you could get chrome buckets, and only on Master Deluxe models. '37 Chevys had painted buckets, and they are longer like sneakysnake said.

This is a '37-'38 Chevy bucket.

IMG_1032.jpg

Definitely '36 or earlier. '36 was the last year you could get chrome buckets, and only on Master Deluxe models. '37 Chevys had painted buckets, and they are longer like sneakysnake said.

This is a '37-'38 Chevy bucket.

IMG_1032.jpg

Well it sounds like a 36 then :) I saw a set of 31 headlights there too with flat glass. I don't know when the changed from flat to curved.
Thanks for everyone's input! Can't wait to get these on the rat [cl

All American auto makers switched from flat lenses in 1931 to curved glass lenses in 1932
And kept getting smaller..
1932-9+"
1933-34 just under 9"
1935-36 8"
1937-39 7"
and most all switched to sealed beams in 1940

helps with all makes.. cheers !

Latest posts

Back