Mismatched grill shell need help to satisfy curiosity

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chevyv8-348

Sorry I don't have a picture of the grill I got on eBay but I think the auction is still viewable. It's 290677572523 and I found pattent number 1858047 and 1808731 on the grill shell on opposite sides of where the hood felt goes. Has the center hinge point for the hood and had a 35 and earlier chevy grill surround and insert that had been cut to fit the opening. The bottom piece is is bolted on. Either way I'm still gonna use it becuase I like it's lines but I'm curious as to what the main shell came from.

I dont think thats a chevy grill shell.The insert does but has been cut off at the bottom. The top is to deep,a '36 Deluxe looks like that but had a rolled top on the insert. It looks a lot like a '35 Hudson shell. Not sure whats going on here.

'36 deluxe
fc6.jpg

'35 chevy
35chev2drsedan_Cruisinclassics.jpg

'35 Hudson
82160d1300295172-35-hudson-8-cyl-35-hudson-001.jpg

Forgot his pic for reference.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqFHJEYE88dN!SKyBPTmKQ8+Og~~60_58.jpg
    $(KGrHqFHJEYE88dN!SKyBPTmKQ8+Og~~60_58.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 44
  • $(KGrHqJHJBgE8e6)BkfHBPTmKT69eg~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqJHJBgE8e6)BkfHBPTmKT69eg~~60_12.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 45
I kinda wonder if sneakysnake is right. I got it pulled apart trim off and insert off. Cleaning it up right now in my electrolysis tank. The trim was held to the shell by it's studs but all the holes for holding it on were now way factory holes. It had some slotted holes further inset that were doing nothing for mounting any of the trim. Anybody got any idea how I can post a picture from an I-phone so y'all can see what I'm seeing?

dr. crakenstien beat me to it!.. but I have to agree... master deluxe shell.. with some mods going on there at the bottom

Finally figured it out. I knew the raised triangle shape that is mostly covered in the eBay picture would lead me to figure it out. Last night I stumbled across a picture of a 35 Plymouth. So I did a search for a 35 Plymouth grill shell and saw multiple pictures of shells with the identical 5 bolt holes on the sides and the raised triangle on the top center. The bottom had been chopped off and another peice clamping the chevy grill insert and trim into place. Thanks everybody for y'alls help.

Latest posts

Back