4 cylinder slant engine

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatheadgary

my neighbor scraps metal and came across a slant 4 cylinder engine. it says international on the valve cover. it's as big as a slant 6 engine, which i thought was odd. i figured it was for a truck or tractor. it doesn't say harvester on it anywhere either. i thought chrysler was the only one that made slant engines, but what do i know. i do know that chrysler got the slant engine from a tractor design and made it thier own. what do you guys think it came from?

152 cubic inch International slant 4 from a Scout. Basically half of a V8.

33709850002_large.jpg

suprized to see the dist. cap with plugs, the ones i remember had all the plug wires with 4 of them bolted together to the block.

thanks guys. i knew somebody would know what it was. the only scout i ever had any dealings with was friend that had one with a 480 in oldsmobile in it.

Cool engine, no? If memory serves me there was a higher performance unit in a late '70's scout.
It's got fairly long and straight intake runner's too.
Cornbinders are amazing engines. My Father-in-law ( OK ex F-I-L) told me a story of having an old cornbinder arrive at the White dealer he was working at in the '70's.
The farmer that had owned it had issues with a cylinder / piston. He disassembled the engine & removed the piston / connecting rod. Wrapped rubber around the Crankshaft journal and clamped it down with a hose clamp. Drove a tight fitting post into the cylinder...there; fixed!
F-I-L said it had to be extremely out of balance but the old fella most likely babied it back'n forth to town for groceries only.
Still...wow!
And I though I was cheap

engines

I bought a 64 chevy 1 ton about 20 years ago that had a great body and a
portable welder mounted on back. Engine was recently rebuilt by a Ford dealer. Ran great, pulled a 20 ft gooseneck trailer loaded with it. took it to a
garage for tune up and one cylinder on drivers side had 0 compression. He
pulled the head and there was no piston in that cclinder. they had cut the
rod at the crank and used it for a spacer on that journal. It was a 283 ci
engine.

Latest posts

Back