The low down...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank J

I've posted the introduction and thought I would share what I'm planning and what I've got done.
Once I quit racing, I spent a while trying to decide on what to build. I love a lot of different things and opinions were like a ping pong ball on crack.
What I finally settled on was building a car around a 5" dropped I beam axle, just something about them, I love the look.
Long story short, I wound up with a glass 34, no-name body needing alot of work and finesse. The body was a shell only and I have been working on the supports, mounting doors etc. This thing was tough and still has a long way to go. I fully support the theory that a steel body would have been much easier, this option was out of reach.
It sits on American Stampings rails, I made the boxing plates, cross members myself. Designed a triangulated 4 bar for the rear, not rocket science I know but it was a challenge as this is the first car I have built with suspension.
A 9" will go in the rear, narrowed it up to fit right. Have not chosen a gear yet.
It will be an automatic, getting lazy ya know. Tranny will be a Chrysler 727, with all the usual 'tricks'. I did consider running a stick, but honestly in the end I just wimped out and went with the auto.
Motor will be a slug 426, blown with dual Predators. When I say slug, I mean no hi tech pieces. Just an honest stump puller and since I am only aiming for about 600 hp, this should be able to be done with my eyes shut. More on this later.
Interior will be a minimum affair. If it doesn't need it, this car will not have it.
Small tire, driver, That is the plan.

Sounds like it will make a cool rod. As for the automatic, my T is the first rod I have had in years without a stick and I'm loving it. It performs great and all I have to do is punch it and steer. I know some people say if it doesn't have three pedals it isn't a hot rod................yeah, right. :p:p:p:p

Don

Latest posts

Back