Surprise surprise, another title question.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmlcolorado

SO, I have to title my rat, just as everyone else has to do.
I have come across a guy that has a 56 ford pickup (building a 50 International).
He tells me the title has a signature on it from a 'buyer' and it also has a notary stamp saying "sold by the denver police garage" both dated in 1978.

My question is, won't it become a problem that whoever bought the title in 78, didn't transfer the title in their name back then?
The guy that has the title now, obviously isn't the guy who bought the title (and presumably, the truck) in 78.

Next question is, how does a mechanics lien work? I assume the vehicle would need a legal owner in order for someone to legally place a mechanics lien on in order the them to gain legal ownership of the vehicle right?
At that point, they would be able to apply for a bonded title, right?
Does it just make better sense for me to just apply for a bonded title at that point and skip the whole mechanics lien process?

The bonded title process is a lot easier than it sounds. Years ago I gave a friend of mine a 1967 FJ 45 Lancruiser Pickup. I had neither the time for it or a title. He did the whole bonded title deal in about a day and a half start to finish.

The bonded title process is a lot easier than it sounds. Years ago I gave a friend of mine a 1967 FJ 45 Lancruiser Pickup. I had neither the time for it or a title. He did the whole bonded title deal in about a day and a half start to finish.

I guess the question then is did I COMPLETLY screw myself out of doing a bonded title by removing the factory frame and welding a mish mash of different vehicles together? I understand the vehicle will be inspected by a state Patrol officer?

I guess the question then is did I COMPLETLY screw myself out of doing a bonded title by removing the factory frame and welding a mish mash of different vehicles together? I understand the vehicle will be inspected by a state Patrol officer?
You may have, but there could be an out. Perhaps there's a way to call it a home built, like when you build a trailer. It's one of those deals where you're almost afraid to ask the DMV cuz of the can of worms you might be opening. Maybe there's some info at CO.gov

You may have, but there could be an out. Perhaps there's a way to call it a home built, like when you build a trailer. It's one of those deals where you're almost afraid to ask the DMV cuz of the can of worms you might be opening. Maybe there's some info at CO.gov

Afraid to ask, absolutely!
My concern is they will deem it a home built vehicle, want to issue a new vin, then require the vehicle meet 2012 safety and emission requirements. :eek:

I'll ask some questions up in Steamboat. I know everyone down at the DMV, and my buddy Dale is practically the mayor up there.
How close are you to needing plates and registration?

I think the proper answer to that question is well past ready :rolleyes:
But realistically, pretty close. I'm thinking late this summer it'll be 100% road worthy.

Ya know, one thing that might be my advantage is I have the original serial number tag from the truck. It shows a chassis number though, and the original chassis doesn't exist. But I think the truck has been in Colorado it's whole life a is found a check from the 50's written off a bank in the far south. So it's a Colorado truck for sure.

As far along as you are I would just finish it 100%. Go for the state vin, Bypass the builder title you are to far into the build. Getting a state vin doesn't alway mean that the truck will be called a 2012. I had no problems and I'm titled as a 1949 even with the mods i did, and with no vin or mixed parts doesn't make or break getting a vin. If they give you griff on the eastslope send it over the mountain here. less bs. I had no problems getting mine done just had a long wait.

The only problem with not going through the hoops is if you get pulled over your ride is gone. I had a buddy pull the same stunt, they made him start the paper work for a new vin if he wanted his ride back. He found out real soon by the time the paperwork was done and a new vin was issued. he would pay for 9 months of impound fees :eek: after 1 year it went strait to the crusher, the law can not sale a car that has no or tamper with vins. He had 3g in the motor alone.

BTW Like I stated in my title thread "get a Good bill of sale" for major parts, And god knows you have lots of pics. And If you are real worried here a tip and it won't open a can of worms but is going to cost you $25.00 for peice of mind.

Call the highway patrol and set up your vin inspection. Tell them you need to have to inspection because you need to apply for a state vin (they may change it to a inspection for a builder title but don't worry just go with the flow with this step). You do not have to have anything to do with the DMV at this time. But you will need to have your bills of sale for major parts and pics. If they have any problems with your ride you will find out then and there. They will issue you a inspection report if they don't check need bond and engineering inspection needed you are in the clear. This will at least let you know where you stand, you might end back at square one with your title issue and at that point if you are still willing to jump off the edge on a not so right title then you can roll the dice (not if, but when) you get pulled over

Last edited:
http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellit...goBlobs&blobwhere=1251775670624&ssbinary=true best bet. this how we did ours in idaho. Colorado has very similar laws. very hot rodder friendly states:)

This is the same BS paperwork the DMV was making me do. The only problem was the cab that I had had no vins. Going this route is fine if all you have is a cab, frame, axels and a stearing column to start with and matching vins on frame and cab. After you go through all the BS (and if you change frames during all this you get to start again) you have to go to the next step of changing the builder title to a real title ( guess what, one more vin inspection) I have been there done that.

One little fact: If you mod a titled car/truck (change frame) you are supposed to take the title for the frame and the title for the cab to the DMV and have the titles combined (Builder Title). If you don't and get pulled over, and if the law dog has a wild hair and wants to check your vins (bye bye ride)

I dont want to make waves and I do understand that it is a lot of BS, but It is things like not walking the line that gives the man more power to get us off the road.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back