welding in a vise

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waltmcq

What would happen if I welded a stud on the base of my vise, then I could just clamp the piece in the vise and put the ground on the vise? Why won't this work?

18 to 20 oz. copper sometimes bends under the weight of ground clamp. working an artsy stuff

Ah, I do the artsy myself, I know how it is. Do you have smooth jaws in the vice? A steel table works good with swivel pad vice grips. So are you welding TIG then? How is that working for you?

Ya TIG, a test in patients. I have good days and bad days but I know if I won't so lazy and did it more often it would be easier.
I do have plans in my head for a small steel work table (maybe tomorrow (ha))
Hope this picture shows well enough

Attachments

• stufff 010 (Medium).jpg
    stufff 010 (Medium).jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 58
I work in a lot of copper, it is never easy.

The first is steel and copper, and the crummy picture is a copper vanity base made to look like a tree stump

Attachments

• copper resized.jpg
    copper resized.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 53
  • small copper treetrunk vanity.jpg
    small copper treetrunk vanity.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
the last shop I worked in had all the vises set up like that. I never crawled under to see how it was connected. I assumed they hooked the ground to one of the mounting bolts underneath the bench. it sure was nice to be able to clamp something in any vice in the shop and grab the torch and zip away on it.

my bench vise is bolted to my welding table i then put my work in the vise and clamp my ground to the work bench seems to work fine to me:D

that tree trunk is unbelieveable.

Just when I think I've come up with the idea that will change the world I find out it's been done for years.

Latest posts

Back