Strike 2 on getting a title

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratrod8737

Need help in Texas. So we built my rat rod with a 37 chevy half ton cab and a custom built frame. When it was time to get it legal on the road we found somebody to do a bonded title for us, they talked a good game but 3 months later and $160 deposit and finally a letter saying they can't title it because the frame is not the original one. So I'm guessing they did not do the paper work correct so than I called another title company and told them my problem and they said they would find out some info and call me back but no phone call. Now I'm going to try and do this myself, I checked out my local DMV web sight and found info on a custom built or home built vehicle, so has anybody in Texas try to register a vehicle that way and if so will it be done as a 37 vehicle or a new vehicle. Any help please ,this rat looks to damn good to just sit in my garage

do not know it this will help you but here how I do it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure where to put this but it might be nice to start a data base on ways to title a vehicle in each state

Well here is the process I used to title a 1939 Plymouth truck in the State of Texas final cost with tags good till 3/13 was $105.35
time invested 1 hr at DMV 2 hr at Tarrant county court house 45 min 1 trip and 1.hr15min second trip

IZE="4"]Texas title
You will need the following have the dates as current as possible

Bill of sale
2 letters from people stating how you came about getting the vehicle
Pencils tracing of the serial # you are going to use
2 pictures

This info goes to the Texas Dept of Motor vehicle (Tarrant County is on Gravel Street)
Explain to that you need to run serial # (you know its no longer in the system) and get a letter of rejection so you can set it up for a title hearing
And this form available on DMV web site
VTR-130-SOF Statement of Fact for Tax Collector Hearing/Bonded Title

All this go to the tag office south side of the road from the old court house
Second floor
Take them all the paper work and ask to set up a title hearing so you can get the vehicle registered
They will have you fill out a title transfer form and another form
They will hold the paper work for about 10 day then you will get the notice in the mail when the hearing is

It some time helps to act dumb and by all means be polite

another way with less paperwork is the bonded title on the 1939 Plymouth cab they wanted a bond for the value of $6800 to cost prohibitive

hope this help some one

If it has a Id plate,know anyone in Okla,do a title 42(mechanics lien) cost you about $100.00

I may just try the bonded title again but look over the paper work the last person did and try to find some mistakes

Ive heard of guys just buying open titles and going to the DMV and registering their vehicle. I know poeple do it up this way, because you can avoid all inspections. I see titles for sale all the time. It must work somewhere.

Latest posts

Back