Bikes to Avoid?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

project40

I'm dreaming of a metric chopper project but do not know what bikes best suit my needs. Are there any particular bikes to avoid? I know some are too weak to be hardtailed but I'm not that familiar with all the different models. Thanks for any tips.

love metric chops!
cb 750's and xs650 yamaha's are the easyest to me but any thing in the 70's are easyer to work on .
the early 80's bikes suck though ,too much electrical junk and the carbs are'nt the best to full with either.
the 70's kaws are awsome but cast alote to build and maintain and the 70's suzukies dont have muchinfo or parts to chop them with .
the new v-stars and 750 hondas are good to chop and highly dependable !
but they just dont have that old school fill to me .
i will help you with info if i can when you get one.
highly recamend the xs 650's for beginers though,the four carb bikes can be a handfull to get right sometimes.

love metric chops!
cb 750's and xs650 yamaha's are the easyest to me but any thing in the 70's are easyer to work on .

I'm with Tom here... the old Honda 4-bangs were good bikes for this & are easily found cheap but a 2-bang is cheaper to rebuild carb wise.

BoB

Thanks guys. I'm trying to get something really cheap to appease the wife so that really limits my options I guess. So far I've found a Yamaha xs400 and a Honda CB400. Not sure what year they are since I haven't seen them in person yet.

I built a lot of bike. I just did a 1978 Honda CB 400. Not a lot of power compare to a Harley or Triumph but it is nice for running around town. I raked the neck, put on a 6 over front forks. I removed the rear shocks and got the fender down on the tire with struts. Added a Honda rebel tank I have about $700.00 in the bike.

The best part is a can go a long time on a tank of fuel and with drag pipes it sounds nice.

I see your from Pa. what part?

Last edited:
I've bult a 98' V-Star 650 custom into a chop, shaft drive and all. No sweat. Currently my Dad also has 2 Yamaha 400's, as you suggest possible. Easy to work on also, but some parts can be harder to obtain for hopping up power. The easiest is the Honda CB750. There is lots of HP parts and supporting sites. Try hondachopper.com. There is a whole culture out there supporting this bike and parts. I'm on that site almost everyday.

basically I just keep it to air cooled and chain driven. seems to be the simplest bikes. I have also found that the smaller CC bikes go for cheaper. Im currently working on a 450 nighthawk that I got (with title) for $150.

Latest posts

Back