Interesting engine in 1953 ford f600

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21willys

I bought a old ford grain truck at a auction Saturday for the cab. I never even looked at the drivetrain til today. I've since found out what it is but was curious if anyone could ID it from a few pics.

455D6774-2397-4156-84CD-84DCAA4FD3BC-3853-000007D9B147F652.jpg

76DB1FDD-4CE5-4ACB-B669-691712D02B64-3853-000007D9AA3C1196.jpg

7799BC27-091E-4249-A8A3-4BA595F90781-3853-000007D9A0FAD34A.jpg

I know the pics suck.

53 was the last year of the 239 Flathead, but late in the year the 239 OHV Y-Block was appearing in 53 1/2 production line. Also introduced in late 53 was the 256 and 272 Y-Blocks. My guess would be the 272 since it's valve covers, exhaust manifolds and generator positioning do not match the 239 or 256.

It's not ford or international. And the engine was only made for one year.

Lincoln 279 Y-Block

ok, I resorted to cheating a little and researched it some yet still could be wrong since it's a 1953 F600. but here goes..

Lincoln produced the first Y-Block 317 in 52. They introduced the 279 for the 1954 model year only for heavy duty truck applications.

hey guys....

That doesn't look like a ford motor to me..... looks like a pontiac / GMC motor....all the y blocks I've seen even from the lincoln had two bolts holding the valve cover down.....also didn't have those water pipes to the cylinder heads..... I'm not truly sure what it is but looks just like the 1954 or 55 GMC motor that was designed by pontiac for GMC.... I might be all wet but not sure that motor belongs in that truck .....JMHO

Winner winner chicken dinner....

It's a 316 Pontiac out of a 56 GMC. They called them 317 cubic inch in the trucks, but same engine. Going to put it in my Willys if it runs decent.

And what does he win Johnny??!!

A weeks stay at the lovely honeymoon suite of the Comonawanalaya Hotel in beautiful WiKIKI!!!

I was pretty sure but you had me with the F600 thing....guess you can fit anything into anything....Right?? :D

I was going to say it looked like a Pontiac engine. Not that strange I put a Poncho 350 in an El Camino one time. Camino needed an engine and I had the 350 in the garage

When I grew up on a farm our neighbor would put whatever engine he could find for cheap in his farm trucks.

Well you know those blue oval guys like to keep it

all blue oval......:D...but we all know it "improves" things with the GM powerplant...LOL.. No hate mail please.... :(

Its not that strange to see a power plant switch in a 50 year old truck but to see a poncho motor in a truck is unique to me. Especially one that was only made for one year.

I was going to say it looked like a Pontiac engine. Not that strange I put a Poncho 350 in an El Camino one time. Camino needed an engine and I had the 350 in the garage

When I grew up on a farm our neighbor would put whatever engine he could find for cheap in his farm trucks.

Our farm is guilty of this too, we try to keep it as to what was in it but weve done weird swaps too. Weirdest is a spiecer back filler with a sbc on it and grandpa put a 4 cyl Detroit on it he bought at an auction.... After about 2 years of problems it works like a charm....

Oddest in my cars was a 3.3 Chevy in a 83 Toyota cressida wagon.... Derby car....

to see a poncho motor in a truck is unique to me. Especially one that was only made for one year.

Not that unique.

U.S built GMC's used a version of the Pontiac V8 from '55 through '59. In 55 they used a 287 Pontiac, in '56- the 316 (your engine), and '57- a 347. In '58 and '59 they used a 336 V8 that was a small bore (3 7/8) vesion of the Pontiac 370. To muddy the waters a bit more, the GMC advertising guys gave the Pontiac engines one extra cube in the brochures in '55 and and '56. Hence the the Pontiac 287 was advertised as the "GMC 288" and the Pontiac 316 became the "GMC 317" engine.

Somebody may have liked the GMC/Poncho combination so much they put it in your Ford. ;)

There's a dipstick for an automatic in the bottom corner of one pic, that sure ain't orig in a '50's three ton!
On the subject of odd swaps, we put a 350 Chevy in a John Deere 105 combine and used it for a few years. Worked great!

Yep thats a pontiac...
Ford had an industrial engine that LOOKED like a y block in up to I think 366?
It had a bottom end like the lincoln engine but the heads were 292/312heads and he water pump ad an enormous casting bolted on that raised the fan above the intake.
I was going to buy one when I was building my 1958. it was out of a 60's somethign C60 ford cabover truck. what threw mw off was he didn't have the tranny, the pattern was different than my tranny, and the bell housing was a deep bell double disc clutch setup needing a longer nosed tranny

but it was a 360 or a 366 and was supposed to pull like hell
I just couldn't find the parts to make the connection
The guy who had it live in Council Bluffs here and I remember he also had a solid 2 doors bathtub nash buried in the garage..the one with the front wheels without wheel openings.

Latest posts

Back