Not sure what transmission this is...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbaldwin11

I am trying to figure out what this transmission is and if it can be mated up to a Buick 225 Dauntless V6 that I have acquired for a '36 Chevy pickup. Any help would be appreciated. Also, any recommendations for a 4-speed to mate up to the 225 if this one won't work?

Attachments

• trans1.jpg
    trans1.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 55
  • trans6.jpg
    trans6.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 55
  • trans4.jpg
    trans4.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 51
  • trans5.jpg
    trans5.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 50
zzrodder, I think you're right...the guy that has it says it is from a 40s or 50s Chevy truck. I can't find any info about transmissions from those eras.

Straight cut Grindomatic first gear with a huge jump from third to fourth, and closed drive back end, it's scrap iron.

Just noticed that the bolt pattern is slightly twisted over, either the engine was leaning away from the driver's seat or the shifter was tilted towards it. Never seen one like that before. Cabover, maybe?

I was thinking muncie sm420 but that looks even smaller are you sure it's a 4 speed?

yeah that's a sm420.. I had a picture in my head of the sm465 like outta a 454 c30 i scrapped

SM420 has a 7:1 granny gear.. tough and as short as it is makes it one of the best jeep trannies

The novak adapters site also has a "how to" on mating a ford transmission to a GM car bellhousing (smaller bore).
The GM truck trannies have a much larger bore hole then the car trannies ball does
The gm car tranny is a smidge tighter than the ford
so it's a matter of taking the front bearing retainer off the ford tranny and having it's flange turned down to fit the gm bell and it's tube turned down to fit a gm throwout bearing
then you take a little off the nose of theinput shaft with a cutoff wheel, dress it up with a flapwheel and install a specially sized bearing in the rear of your gm crank.
You use the gm flywheel and clutch hat and the ford clutch disk

you also have to elongate 2 holes and redrill 2 holes to bolt the tranny to the bell

why do all of this?

If you can find a t19, they are fully synchronized and the ones from a 460 truck or a 6.9 or 7.3 diesel are close ratio instead of granny low with 3 speeds

all ford truck trannies that unbolt from the bell are interchangeable from 1974? to 1989 The only difference being 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive.
the early ford 4 wheel drive trannies were either divorced or were 2x trannies with adapters.
I made 75 bucks off a NP435 out of 1970 f100. they has a single speed transfer case so the granny was real low. they are popular swaps with the jeepers and the bronco guys for the law granny

I have a complete NP435 setup out of a 79 bronco I'm going to use to change from a c6 behind my 460 to a 4 speed in my supercab 4x4 project

I also picked up one of those T19's when I junked out a rusty old 1988 f350 but it's a 2x tranny. I need the output shaft and tail cone from a t18 or t19 4x4 tranny to make it wwork in my rig. Being closed ratio and fully synchroed I was thinking just using it in the rat rod.
I also picked up couple saginaw 4 speeds over the years. they used to be spit on but now not so much. I read here somewhere you can install the overdrive from a 3 speed onto them but I never got one to try it.

If you did that ford tranny to gm bell thing im pretty sure you could run a mustang tranny behind that v6 and those are like belly buttons compared to the 5 speed chevy tranny

Latest posts

Back