My 59 fiat 1100

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donald

Upon request I got some pic's of my car. I not working on it at the moment and it going to be awile till I am... theres alot of snow on the ground way to cold and not enof beer to keep me warm... but wile the snow slowly melts, I want to plan my first build(and its going to be a hard one)
Ok to start with I'd thought I would tell you how i came across it. I was driving down to my cabin and I saw this car, no clue what it was. It was sitting in a farmers field. There were no key's, wasent running and the front driver side breaks was seased (its is left had drive) but I had to have it 300$ latter I owned my first car and another 150$ to move it into the city.
116-1699_IMG.jpg
117-1704_IMG.jpg
117-1705_IMG.jpg
117-1706_IMG.jpg

Looks clean... but as we all knowthats not the case

Last edited:
Rust!!!!!

Now its the attack of the rust
117-1702_IMG-1.jpg

Not to bad on the body for being the only spot
117-1716_IMG.jpg
117-1711_IMG.jpg

should i be seeing grass?
WoW-1.jpg

HAHAHAHA hasent bin registered since 77 now that scary what have i gotten myself into

More Rust!!!

good bench
121-2116_IMG.jpg

darn i was getting my hopes up, thought I seen the last of the rust.... foolish me
117-1717_IMG.jpg

bad pic but all that needs to be fixed
117-1718_IMG.jpg
tare down was fast and fun, alot more roomie inside
time to deal with the motor
117-1719_IMG.jpg
small car even smally motor....
for those who dont know the motor is 1100cc putting out about 50 horses... trying to hot wire it(the electical held up) i made the starter scream and no luck... tryed truning it over by hand... no luck, i broke my hand and got a nice gash... after tring everything to get it free i gave up and had my hand looked at

Last edited:
all of that was in 1 day...i thought it was a good day
after i got all fixed up with 3 stich's, tetanus shot and a cast I whent to work on getting the motor out(with out a lift)
117-1734_IMG.jpg
after man handling it by myself i got it out
121-2125_IMG.jpg
121-2123_IMG.jpg
121-2124_IMG.jpg

Looks like you got a little rust to fix Donald:D. That pic is kind of small but it looks like the floor bracing and structure is still in good shape.

i like your car and admire your perserverence. how about a tech4 s-10 motor and 5 speed trans. that little car would run good. and it should fit pretty easy.

after geting it on the stand, i started to tare it down to find the problem
121-2134_IMG.jpg
121-2140_IMG.jpg
121-2145_IMG.jpg

after i got the valve cover and the head off i found the problem...i was so upset i even forgot to take a pic (ill post it when i can)
the problem, when i took of the head the 4th piston was all chewed up and the head was as bad... what had happend was the guy who had it befor me put a marine spark plug in because he couldent find the right one. so the piston broke off the end of the spark plug and made it bounce around till the damage was done. the block is fine, need to be machined. but the head i dont think is re-useable and no way of getting a newone with out importing it from italy. this is one of my problems

Ok thats what I have done up to this point...
Looks like you got a little rust to fix Donald:D. That pic is kind of small but it looks like the floor bracing and structure is still in good shape.
the car is solid as if it ust came off the assembly line just a bit more rusty
Hey Donald, what are you planning with your fiat?
I LOVE THAT QUESTION!:D
answer I really dont know at this point:confused:
i like your car and admire your perserverence. how about a tech4 s-10 motor and 5 speed trans. that little car would run good. and it should fit pretty easy.
ive talked to alot of builders, car guys and that motor hasent come up till now... ill have to add it to my options

Ok time to list what i want, what needs to be done and questions to be asked. I have the original shop manual for the car and if you want me to look somthing up just ask

Im not to shur yet but i think i need a stronger frame... no matter what i do i dont think the front clip is going to take another 100 horse power (ill post more on that latter)
I would like to put a v8 in it but i would have to make new frame and make the car a bit wider and being unshur what the canadian road safty laws are, i dont think i can get it past a "Safty" with out going to a frame shop(cost to much)
Motors that could be used with out modification to the body:
toyota 4AGE <<<<last resort
mazda 13b rotary motor <<<<2nd last resort
tech4 s-10 motor <<<<unshur need more info
Cosworth Duratec <<< alot of $$$$

I dont know that the measurements are exactly but the 1100cc motor that was in it was tight. the length isent the problem its the width...the control arms protrudes into the engine bay the only thing i can think of was make the wheel base wider...(48.6" is the stock width)

Im going to leave it at that for now because it is 3:30 am:eek:
Thank you for the feed back and hope to hear more

The way those doors open is very strange.
Most American four doors I've seen with suicide doors tend to have the back doors be the ones that open from the front...never seen one like that- but then I can't say I've seen many or any of those here ever.

Very unique project- I think we'll all learn something from this one!
Keep us posted.

Jay

is the car front or rear wheel drive? have you thought of using a bigger motorcycle engine? an old gold wing would be 1500-1800 CC's and shaft drive. I bet you really wouldnt need anything more then 100 horse to make that little thing a fun ride

Looks like that could be a real fun project and you won't see a bajillion others on the road. Here's some pix that might encourage you. Your only limit is your imagination.
There are two Fiats, one LLoyd, one Crosley and a supercharged Mazda Rotory powered roadster.

Attachments

• lloyd.jpg
    lloyd.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 12
  • fiat1.jpg
    fiat1.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 12
  • fiat2.jpg
    fiat2.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 8
  • cros1.jpg
    cros1.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 11
  • mazdapower.jpg
    mazdapower.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 11
thank you for the positive feed back. ya those doors are strange thats what made the final sale... the only problem with it is the hing's sticks 1/4" out and the pin keeps falling out. It is rear wheel drive, my nabor suggested that i make the car front wheel drive... but i dont know if thats what i want... i want to see the sky every time i hit the gas :D a motor from a bike has bin on my mind but if i keep it rwd then how would do it... THANK YOU FOR THE PIC'S! :eek: i love small cars because there so light... my fiat is 1940 lbs stock... its going to fly :cool:

ill take a pic of the damage on the head/piston and some measurements

X_1961_Fiat_1100_Sedan_053120070229.jpg
what a tease

Latest posts

Back