Front Axle I.D.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob w

Still crazy after all these years!
ReoRoofSide001.jpg

I picked up this aftermarket tube axle a couple days ago. Guy thought it has Econoline ends on it. I don't think so. The kingpin bosses are 4 1/2" tall and take a kingpin a little larger than 5/8" diameter. That is pretty small.

It is obvious that the axle was at one time installed and in use.

Does anyone have any idea what spindles would fit this axle?

Wow, I haven't a clue either. :confused: Not early Ford, not 49-54 Chevy, not Econoline, not Total Performance, that leaves Willys and Anglia, but the 4.5 inch height is really throwing me. That is also a very steep camber angle.

Only thing I can possibly guess at is it might be from a dragster front end and it used some custom spindles. How big in diameter is that tubing, it looks smallish. What is the kingpin to kingpin measurement ?

Don

Bob, if no one here has an answer put it on the HAMB. There are a bunch of guys on there who play with odd stuff, so maybe they might know.

I was thinking it might be set up for a spindle from an independent suspension that incorporates kingpins, like some old Mopars. Possibly Twin I-Beam?

Not a Twin I Beam either, here's the 79 front end on my Hennway. You may be closer to the truth with the early independant spindle possibility.......

Attachments

• may 6 06 003z.jpg
    may 6 06 003z.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 20
52%20Ford%20Spindle_zpsa2734c0d.jpg

You guys got me thinking and with a little Googling, I found this image on a T Bucket site. '52 Ford spindle. And Don, you had posted on the thread.:D Mine might not be identical but it indicates that early on builders were trying different components.
The guy I got the axle from included a set of Econoline spindles and brakes. When I pointed out they wouldn't fit he recalled he gave a different spindle and brake set away a few weeks earlier. I'll bet they are the ones that fit the axle. He's trying to get them back for me,

You sure that was me, Bob ? I've had people going around impersonating me lately, either that, or I have CRS. :eek:

Seeing that makes sense. Have you determined what company was making those axles ?

Don

Bob, that is really interesting. I don't even remember that thread, but it was way back in 2009............I don't even remember sitting down in my computer chair 5 minutes ago !:eek:

So what do you think the deal is ? Was someone producing those axles (since a couple of guys on that forum had them and now you do too), or are they all individually built from some plans ?

I really have to say the axle looks pretty good with those spindles on there and disc brakes should be easy to adapt since they are Pinto spindles. (Or am I confused and they are 52 Ford spindles ?)

Don

Minnesota Auto Specialities (MAS) was a major player for several years. They made axles and sold them nationwide. To the best of my knowledge they made them for early Ford, '49-'54 Chevy and Econoline spindles only. It is possible they made a run of axles for Pinto and or shoebox Ford spindles. One of my Wednesday lunch buddies knows the guy the actually made the axles for MAS. He is going to check this out with him.

The bends in the axle I have sure look like a MAS unit.

Don't fret about not remembering. It's happening to me more and more. Just wait til you get to my age...

I'm sorry, what were we talking about???

I've seen those round tube axles before but not with the set up there....I'm clueless but what else is new??? :D

Attachments

• mar 25 06 012 a.jpg
    mar 25 06 012 a.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 13
  • mar 25 06 013.jpg
    mar 25 06 013.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 11
  • mar 25 06 015.jpg
    mar 25 06 015.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 10
Norm Grabowski, the iconic T Bucket builder, actor, shift knob carver and all time character built a C-Cab truck and called it a Henway. As far as I know that was the first use of Henway for a vehicle name.

zz's Henway is an amazing build.

Latest posts

Back