gold or garbage at the bottom of the scrap pile ???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnum

gold or garbage at the bottom of the scrap pile ??? pics added

cleaned /sorted up the scrap pile on our 100 year old farm... FIL had been piling scrap on a supposedly ( model T frame ) for as long as my 50 + year old wife can remember...

as we worked our way down, we actually found very little car parts, most was old farm junk... I could see one of the deteriourated wood spoke wheels before we even started to pull from the pile...

1st frame we uncovered ( the one with the wood wheels ) was in very good condition... frame is actually nicer shape than the one on the 46 Stude I'm working on... I don't think it's an early Ford though, as the rear end looks "different" not the typical hot rod banjo, ( at least I don't think ) looks to have had a torque tube ( they used a piece of wood to block off the opening with the drive shaft removed ) it has a pair of traditional leaf springs in both front & rear... frame horns that look early Ford to me... mechanical band brakes ( at least in the rear ) any idea what this frame could be from ??? I'm assuming all the fords with wood wheels had buggy springs ??? ( sorry I'm not up on my classic Fords...

2nd frame had the transverse mounted buggy spring, I think is a model T frame, but it's only 1/2 uncovered...

3rd, I found a set of dual buggy springs ( the whole assembly ) would this have been a farm inplement or actual buggy spring, or is that what was used on the early Ford bigger trucks...

sorry, no pics yet, but by next Saturday, I should have the 2nd frame pulled out, & the 1st none pulled out where I can get at it...

Last edited:
I'll see if I can get the MRS to snap a couple pics today ( I'm at work till dark )

BTW... I found a pair of 1958 license plates, ( they are stamped ) & in good shape, but don't have paint on them, are they useable still for someone with a '58 car, or are they scrap, since there is no paint left ???

Last edited:
a couple pics...

the frame in question...

Attachments

• car parts 5.jpg
    car parts 5.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 147
  • car parts 4.jpg
    car parts 4.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 134
  • car parts 3.jpg
    car parts 3.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 132
The double spring is farm wagon stuff. The frame is not worth much to hot rodders, it might be to someone who is restoring one. Not quite sure what it is, but too light for a v8.

still have 1/2 the pile to go through, any car stuff I'll save for swap meets or ???

I'd still like to find out what the frame is from... maybe an early Dodge ???

It could be early Dodge. The front frame horns and spring mounts look like the ones on my Tub, on which I used early Dodge frame pieces. However, lots of cars from that era used similar parts and pieces. Sorry I can't be more help.

I paid $50 on eBay for my frame 7-8 years ago, just to give you an idea. Got it near Mankato.

thanks for all the info guys...

Saturday I'll be back digging for more gold...

funny thing, 2 car frames & no sheet metal yet ???

Those yellow stop signs are worth a lot. I think they are pre-1920. Before the invented the color red. [cl lol. The plates would be cool to hang on the wall or bend into a small bracket for something under the hood.

Still working the pile down... ( working on the 3rd 20ft trailer load ) finally found that model T frame... pretty mangled, but with both front & rear suspensions, & axles in tact...

someone had suggested the original frame in question, had probably been made into a trailer... winner winner... I got the draw bar out of the dirt, I haven't studied how it was attached to the steering linkage to allow the front wheels to turn yet, with it raining all last weekend, & it getting dark so early now... so I don't know how much was messed up with the conversion...

funny thing is... no car / truck sheetmetal body parts :( would have liked to have found a cab or body, or something ???

Pretty common practice back in th day.. there are 4 old wagons/trailers that were once cars or trucks around our place..one was a model T and one was a 35 Ford..not sure about the others..was probably used for years as a trailer after the sheetmetal was used for something else..

sheetmetal probably got banged out flat and nailed to the roof

Latest posts

Back