4 way

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountain

I have an old 4 way that my father gave to me with a bunch of tools he was thinning out (the only tools I have are hand me downs :)) I am trying to figure out if this came with a specific vehicle. I don't know how you would put any torque on this because of the crank design. If anyone has any ideas let me know. Thanks!

Jason

Attachments

• 4 way .jpg
    4 way .jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
So I went searching online and found this information out.

Fig. 48. Blackhawk 5104 4-in-1 Rim Wrench, with Insets for Detail and Markings, ca. 1926-1930.

Fig. 48 shows a Blackhawk 5104 rim wrench of distinctive design, marked "4 In 1 Rim-Wrench" and "Made in U.S.A.", with a "Pat. Dec. 4, 1923" patent date.

The overall length is 18.3 inches in the operating position and 19.4 inches when fully extended.

The rotating socket cluster has openings 5/8, 11/16, 3/4, and 7/8, all with hex broachings. In operation, the socket carrier slides to the end of the shaft to unlock the sockets, and the desired opening can then be rotated into position. When the carrier is moved back, the end of the shaft locks the socket cluster in place, and the tool is ready for use.

Attachments

• blackhawk_5104_wrench_rim_cropped_inset3.jpg
    blackhawk_5104_wrench_rim_cropped_inset3.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 14
Interesting. I'm thinking you lock it in at a 90 degree angle to the socket head you want to use to get torque on it. Then once you've broke the lugs free, move it to the 180 spot and spin them off. ??? Maybe?

It must have worked. It survived 80 years in a working garage being moved and knocked around everyday. It is now in retirement in my garage, hanging on the wall with all of my vintage tools. Thanks for the post!

Latest posts

Back