Ok, the cat is out of the bag!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

I promised Dan I wouldn't post any pictures of the modifications he is making to his '29 RPU until he had a chance to do so first. Well, he just posted some pictures on the HAMB, so all bets are off!! :D:D

For those of you who might not be familiar with this story, my Son Dan has been building a '29 Ford for about 3 years. It started off as a Fordor Murray body that he chopped and channelled. It looked like this when he was done:

Attachments

• dans fordor outside rear shot.jpg
    dans fordor outside rear shot.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 751
  • dans fordor side view.jpg
    dans fordor side view.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 703
  • dans fordor front view.jpg
    dans fordor front view.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 437
It was Olds 455 powered and he built a custom frame for it using airbags on all four corners:

Attachments

• dans frame good side shot.jpg
    dans frame good side shot.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 366
  • dans frame rear shot.jpg
    dans frame rear shot.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 426
  • dans frame front view.jpg
    dans frame front view.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 471
But then he found a nice tudor body on Ebay and decided he didn't need two sedans, so he cut up the Fordor and made it into a roadster pick up.

Attachments

• dans fordor starting to cut up.jpg
    dans fordor starting to cut up.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 312
  • dans fordor starting to cut up 2.jpg
    dans fordor starting to cut up 2.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 347
  • dans rp start.jpg
    dans rp start.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 377
  • dans rpu cab framework started.jpg
    dans rpu cab framework started.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 319
He did a lot of fab work and got the cab looking pretty good.

Attachments

• dans rpu rear welded up 5.jpg
    dans rpu rear welded up 5.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 195
  • dans rpu interior welded 001.jpg
    dans rpu interior welded 001.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 234
  • dans rpu interior welded 006.jpg
    dans rpu interior welded 006.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 159
  • dans rpu rear welded up 3.jpg
    dans rpu rear welded up 3.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 263
And he finally had it to the point where it just needed paint and some other minor work.

Attachments

• dan sitting in RP.jpg
    dan sitting in RP.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 261
  • dan sitting his RP.jpg
    dan sitting his RP.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 364
  • RPUwindsield3016.jpg
    RPUwindsield3016.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 517
But one day I saw him sitting in a chair looking at his car and when I asked him what he was thinking, he said "I'm going to make some changes in my rod." When I asked him what kind of changes, he said "the kind that will keep me from having it ready for Daytona in November ! :eek:" He told me he was going to keep the cab, engine, tranny, front brakes and basically scrap everything else, including the bed and louvered tonneau cover.

His Brother and I thought he was nuts as the car was almost done, but he just found some stuff he didn't like about it, so he got out the sawsall and cut it up. His Brother Don and I made out pretty good, as we got a lot of his cast offs, including the bed that I am now going to use on my '39 Dodge.

So the UPS trucks started showing up with lots of SoCal stuff and a new model A bed from Brookville Roadsters, and he and I started building the new frame for it. He decided to scrap the airbags and go with a traditional cross spring front end and a set of Posies quarter eliptic springs on the back. He had AutoWeld in Pa bend up a back half setup like used on pro street cars, and he also got a new 9 inch housing and Moser 31 spline axles from them. He is going to run a 4 bar set up on the rear and hairpins on the front.

Here is the rear setup when he got it.

Attachments

• dans new rear setup 001.jpg
    dans new rear setup 001.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 452
The next thing he did was have a local metal shop bend up a set of tapered C channels that he welded to straight C channel to form the front side rails. For the past two weeks he and I have been building his new frame, and last night we wrapped it up.

He had Autoweld make the backhalf kit slightly oversized so we could slice and dice it to the shape and size we needed. We ended up sectioning it three ways and welding it back together.

Here is is being built.

Attachments

• dans new rpu frame 002.jpg
    dans new rpu frame 002.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:
We had to keep flipping the jig over so he could flat weld on all of the places that needed welding. This thing is really heavy!! :eek: We couldn't have done it without our gantry crane.

Last edited:
And even though we were beat after a 15 hour day, we had to put the body and bed back on to get the effect.

So now that I have seen it done this way I have to admit it looks a lot better. He still has some frame work to be done like boxing it and adding all of the rear suspension and tube crossmembers, but for the most part it is ready to become a roller.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I wanted to show the entire process from sedan to RPU.

Don

Last edited:
Man that looks REALLY SWEET. I'm glad that the cat's out so we can stay up to date on the project. I see he got those new tires that we were talking about at Daytona ready to go too.

Thanks. No Lucky is still with us. :D Yeah Bill, he did get new tires from Coker while he was there. He sold the wide whites he had on it to his Brother (who got a steal) and is going with blackwalls. He ordered some artilliary wheels from Rally America and they should be here this week or next.

I have to agree Bonehead, this one is going to be the best of the three versions I think.

Being the kids we are, we had to prop up some tires to get an idea of what it will look like. :eek:

Don

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back