test pic

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MercuryMac

Builder Junky!
I want you to guess what kind of car this is. The hood is not quite stock. All you other dang Canadians will only get half points for the correct guess.

Attachments

• IMG_0977.jpg
    IMG_0977.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 90
hints

Here's some more of what the car should look like. I can't show you the back of the white car because it's unrecognizable, but here's the car that the mystery front is going onto. The purple one is 'photo shop' choppped.

Attachments

• 50Ford coupe left.jpg
    50Ford coupe left.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 52
  • shaved 50 purple.jpg
    shaved 50 purple.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 46
strange car

And the winner is --------- Dr Crankenstein---- The rest of you were in the right era, as this grille is in the '49 or '50 Mercurys or Meteors. The Meteor was a Ford body with a Mercury-like grille and quite often a Mercury engine. The Monarchs were more like a Mercury with a unique grille.
Now to you Dr. You will only get half points for committing the location infraction, unless you send me your credid card numbers, then we'll see.
The real reason for this silly quiz is this, If our southern neighbours in the States are building a Shoebox Ford and they want a really cool grille, they should look for a 'bolt-in' like a Canadian Meteor. The grille and surround are mostly flush with the front of the car. The middle piece of chrome is protruding a bit though. Try and get the surround with the grille.
Keep on tinkering.

Attachments

• Meteor grille on hood.jpg
    Meteor grille on hood.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 30
I can see clearly now the rain has gone....

1950 Meteor. (Yes? No? Maybe so?)

Sarge? I suspect you can see Windsor from your kitchen window on a clear morning. This may construed as an unfair advantage and for that reason, no points for you! :D

Nothing from nothing leeeeaves nothing ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_DV54ddNHE

All of the bad feelings have disappeared....Windsor...not so much....Sarnia....maybe on a clear day.........:D....

And how much do those Meteor grills sell for ???

And the winner is --------- Dr Crankenstein---- The rest of you were in the right era, as this grille is in the '49 or '50 Mercurys or Meteors. The Meteor was a Ford body with a Mercury-like grille and quite often a Mercury engine. The Monarchs were more like a Mercury with a unique grille.
Now to you Dr. You will only get half points for committing the location infraction, unless you send me your credid card numbers, then we'll see.
The real reason for this silly quiz is this, If our southern neighbours in the States are building a Shoebox Ford and they want a really cool grille, they should look for a 'bolt-in' like a Canadian Meteor. The grille and surround are mostly flush with the front of the car. The middle piece of chrome is protruding a bit though. Try and get the surround with the grille.
Keep on tinkering.

Just wondering???? :D So what the heck were the Monarch's...I alway thought those were Canadian version of the Mercury...shucks....:(

Just wondering???? :D So what the heck were the Monarch's...I alway thought those were Canadian version of the Mercury...shucks....:(

Monarch was its own "brand" made to fill a price point. Ford dealers got Monarchs as a "upscale" model, giving them a product similar to the Mercury. Lincoln-Mercury dealers got the Meteor, giving them a low priced model. All this because small towns had either a Ford-Monarch dealer or a Lincoln-Mercury dealer, not both. This is also the reason for Mercury trucks. :D

Thanks Doc....

Monarch was its own "brand" made to fill a price point. Ford dealers got Monarchs as a "upscale" model, giving them a product similar to the Mercury. Lincoln-Mercury dealers got the Meteor, giving them a low priced model. All this because small towns had either a Ford-Monarch dealer or a Lincoln-Mercury dealer, not both. This is also the reason for Mercury trucks. :D

See...you learn something new every cotton pickin day!!!

Hi sgtpontiac, the price of them is all over the map. At swapmeets the price can be $30 for both halves, without the surround or centre bulge, to buying the whole gutted car for $200, to buying a rear-ended car for $450. That last one is the white one I showed first. I snuck down into Saskatchewan almost to Regina for the white one. I probably could see Dr. Crankensteins place from there, of cource, you can see your dog running away for three days in Saskatchewan.
It doesn't help you that guys like me are hoarding them for the cool factor. I haven't actually put a Meteor grille in a Ford yet but I will.
Here's a '57 Monarch, see how close it is to a '57 Merc. That is a complete, low milage, two door hardtop, 312 auto, barnfind. It's been sitting there since '84. Best of all it's in my barn.
Whoa, I'm having trouble downloading the picture.

Hi Crossfire,
You deserve an honourable mention or at least a friendly wave for your 'Shoebox Ford with a Merc grille' guess. :) That's what a Meteor is, really. I have read the same books as Dr. Crank has, and he's not lying, this time.
Keep on tinkering.

It's a 1950 Meteor. Hi Blue norther, I don't know if there was Canadian Mercurys in the '49 to '51 years, but there was in the '46-'48 era. I have seen some of them, and I have an American '47 Mercury and a '48 Monarch. The '49 Meteor may have replaced the '48 Canadian Mercury. Where is Dr. Crank when you need him? He'll know.

Latest posts

Back