title filled out years ago

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kultureshot

I have a title for my 55 chevy that I got off my dad. He bought the 55 from a carlot in the early 90's so it's filled out under the carlots information with my dad listed as the buyer. he never had it put in his name though and the carlot is long gone. He no longer lives at the address listed on the title under his name either. How difficult is it going to be to get this put in my name? Could I simply get a bill of sale stating he sold it to me and take the title and bill of sale in, or does it have to be put in his name first and all the penalty fees payed for all the years it hasn't been in his name? Or would it be easier all around to get another title? In Indiana by the way.

In Oregon, they do add a charge per month that the title transfer is filed late. I think it tops out at 6 months or so, so it wouldn't continue to add up. I would search your state's website for fees and see what it says.

I don't think the address matters as long as the buyer signs off on a bill of sale or title change. Get a bill of sale from your dad and make sure he signed the title from the dealership and it should satisfy things.

In Oregon, they do add a charge per month that the title transfer is filed late. I think it tops out at 6 months or so, so it wouldn't continue to add up. I would search your state's website for fees and see what it says.

I don't think the address matters as long as the buyer signs off on a bill of sale or title change. Get a bill of sale from your dad and make sure he signed the title from the dealership and it should satisfy things.
In Missouri, the address doesn't matter and the penalty tops out at $200.
Plus the person, who's name is signed on the buyers line, has to title it in their name then transfer it to the next person.
When the title is just given to the next buyer and no transfers are made, Missouri calls it title skipping and frowns on someone doing that :)
The only one's that are permitted to do that is a licensed dealer.

If you have a title that matches your car it makes it SOOOOOO much easier. Take your paperwork and bill of sale from your Dad to your DMV and ask what they can do. You might be surprised it is easier than you think.

Don

Here they tack on a fine that tops out at $100 (just finally did mine)The D/bag I got from bought it in 2001 & never switched it over-so I got stuck W/ the fines,

[cl It may pay to ask your local currency xchange if they have a 'power of attorney' Form... fill it in, have your dad sing it, and send it in,may save a lot of time and money.

do the mechanic's bill saying the car has been worked on over the time, that way you may not get a penalty. it works in alabama and i believe one of my family did it in texas too.

Latest posts

Back