I thought I had 28/9 ford stuff.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21willys

Ok I'm a bit confused on what I have. I'm pretty sure I have all 28/9 doors, cowl, and quarters but my hinges don't line up.

And do the 28/9 quarters have a body line at the body? Or are my quarter panels 30/1?

24B5DA73-B582-4A6F-A88F-0E09D1884453-1060-000000CD003BB152_zps62ce00cc.jpg

This is a pic of my lower door hinges when I line the upper hinge up.
Do truck doors and car doors not interchange? I'm not sure what my doors or cowl are from.

I have to get better pics of the quarter panel body lines.

Have you measured how wide the doors are? I know coupe doors are narrower and the hinges are in different locations then sedan/truck doors.

Going by the drawings I have, I would hazard a guess that you have a 28-29 cowl with a 30-31 door. The drawings also show a belt line along the bottom on the 30-31 cowl, door, and rear quarter which then goes up and over following the fender line and meeting up with the upper belt line when it goes back down to the area of the tail light. 28-29 doesn't show any belt line along the bottom. I have these drawings scanned and filed somewhere, I'll look and see if I can find them for you.

Last edited:
I will get a better picture of the doors shortly but I'm pretty sure they are 28/9 also.

The quarter panels I have may be 30/1 tho. They are off of a roadster or a coupe but someone cut them off with a torch and really screwed them up.

Okey dokey here's the drawings from the Model A restoration manual. Great little book with a pile of info.

Attachments

• 29 Business Coupe.jpg
    29 Business Coupe.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 29 Cabriolet.jpg
    29 Cabriolet.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 29 Coupe.jpg
    29 Coupe.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 29 Fordor Sedan.jpg
    29 Fordor Sedan.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 29 Sport Coupe.jpg
    29 Sport Coupe.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 29 Taxicab.jpg
    29 Taxicab.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 6
  • 29 Town Sedan.jpg
    29 Town Sedan.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 29 Tudor Sedan.jpg
    29 Tudor Sedan.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 30 3W Fordor Sedan.jpg
    30 3W Fordor Sedan.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 30 Coupe.jpg
    30 Coupe.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 4
...and the rest.

Attachments

• 30 Sport Coupe.jpg
    30 Sport Coupe.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 6
  • 30 Town Sedan.jpg
    30 Town Sedan.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 8
  • 30 Tudor Sedan.jpg
    30 Tudor Sedan.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Model A Closed Cab PU.jpg
    Model A Closed Cab PU.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Model A cover.jpg
    Model A cover.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 5
I believe that doors are different. The 28/'29 pick up doors are interchangeable with '27 model T sedan doors.

That is a '28-'29 cowl, '28-'29 doors, and a '30-'31 quarter panel, (looks like a coupe quarter with the roof panel cut off)...truck hinges and passenger car hinges do not interchange...you either need both pieces, (cowl side & door side), from a truck, or both pieces from a passenger car...plus, they are in different locations...

Thanks Gasser. That's the info I wanted. The bad part is that I don't have a clue what the cowl or doors are from. I'm gonna have to do some measuring.

Hi Willis.
I have some pictures for you. This is my '30 roadster and a '30 front end from probably a coupe. The roadster doors are shallower and shorter front to back than the coupe. In the first pic you will see the coupe door on the outside of the roadster door. I've slid the coupe front end as far around the front of the roadster as I could. The hinges are simpler on the roadster. The upper beltline is simpler on the roadster. The last picture is the '30 back quarter.
Someone cut the windows off of the coupe doors and then realized their error, I guess, so I was able to pick up this half of a Model A for a song at a swap meet. I had to argue him up in price. Anyhow, I'm going to try and put this real good coupe front on the front of the roadster, that's a little on the rough side.
I hope this helps more than confuses you.

Latest posts

Back