Start / coil ??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OddRodsGarage

I have had this thing laying around the shop for a couple of years asking anyone that come by what it does ..

Looks like a coil ... the key gas on / off [ ? ] function only a coil wire fits snugly in the center and the left terminal is labeled "start " and the right is labeled "bat" and the top has nothing.

The only markings on it other than the above is "made in the USA " under all of the above along the bottom . [

I have no idea if it is 6 volt , 12 volt or ? I want to put it on my build but like all my "weird " stuff to actually function ....any ideas ??

Oldog

Attachments

• starter coil 001.JPG
    starter coil 001.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 40
  • starter coil 002.JPG
    starter coil 002.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 40
  • starter coil 003.jpg
    starter coil 003.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 39
un-educated guess

industrial equipment, if you turn the key to start do you do you get continuity from the Batt. to the start pin. that would be to save space and limit external wiring. [S
Just my WAG

industrial equipment, if you turn the key to start do you do you get continuity from the Batt. to the start pin. that would be to save space and limit external wiring. [S
Just my WAG

Good as any Soltz .. I will also add that it appears to be the original color ..if it was industrial or farm equipment ... I would figure green = Deere , yellow =Case etc. ????

As for continuity .. I have it between the top and the left pin witch ever position the key is in and between the start and bat [ lower 2 ] in one position [ on ? ]

Last edited:
the key switch on a 1932 Studebaker looks very similar to that. It was mounted in the dash and the coil wire went through the fire wall to the engine bay. I had no clue until I removed the gauges/panel and found it and thought it was way cool. 6 volt I assume was the original, but "not now" on mine. I will try and take a pic when I get home and post it for you.

Latest posts

Back