Anyone ever seen these before?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBailey

I was helping my buddy work on his '65 Olds Jetstar 88 tonight and when we pulled the spark plugs on the driver's side we found something neither of us had seen before. I was wondering if anyone here has and what the heck they are exactly?

IMG_20140627_205429_831 by ratrodfanbobcat, on Flickr

IMG_20140627_205456_599 by ratrodfanbobcat, on Flickr

IMG_20140627_205438_836 by ratrodfanbobcat, on Flickr

These were only on four plugs on the driver's side of the car, the other four didn't have them. Any ideas guys?

what earthman said. save them as i don't think they make them anymore. something you can stump your buddies with.

Thanks earthman. They do still make them and people even use them on O2 sensors when the remove catilitic converters apperantly lol. I'd never seen them used before. Thanks again guys!

Thanks earthman. They do still make them and people even use them on O2 sensors when the remove catilitic converters apperantly lol. I'd never seen them used before. Thanks again guys!

Yeah, they pull the O2 sensor out of the pipe so that it doesn't react the same to the mixture in the pipe and tricks the computer. I've never done it but heard it works.

I've actually never seen them used either. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah.....it does work on the O2 sensor. A buddy did it on an Xterra for me. Beats $950 for a Cat! Turned the light off and it never came back on.:D:D

NAPA still sells them, I bought a couple when my Son's Olds had that ring problem and was fouling a couple of plugs. They only worked marginally, but he had some broken rings so nothing was really going to fix the problem except the rebuild, which we had to do.

Don

I owned a lot of smokers in the mid 60's and they did keep the plugs from fouling so often. I worked in an Enco service station and used to use the spark plug cleaner a lot. For you younger guys the old spark plug cleaners were mini sandblasters.

Me too, Bruno. We didn't automatically replace plugs back then, we would put the end down into the blaster, hit the button, and the sand inside would sandblast the end of the plug clean.

I think sometimes today a lot of plugs are changed that really do not need to be changed, but we are a throwaway society any more.

Don

Shoot Don, I still recycle plugs lol. Just hit em with the wire wheel and use em again, but I'm cheap and plugs aren't so much anymore.

Latest posts

Back