Jan's 1951 45" Harley-Davidson wlj

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wlj51

The bike
it's a 1951 Harley-Davidson 45" WLJ
As far as i know it's the only WLJ in the world stil rolling around on a regular basis.:cool:
And yes i know, i should restore it but it's in a much better shape than the looks let you believe.
And nobody wants to steel the old rustbucket now:)

wlj51-2.jpg

wlj51.jpg

Tell us about the "J" part, not familiar with that.

Not many people are,even Harley-Davidson told me to start with that there was no wlj type made by the company.
And that somebody just stamped the j in the crankcase.
A guy i know overhere has a wlh and was told the same story.
But tru the years we discovered 5 more wlh's and he contacted H-D again with his findings.
after a while they came back to him with the story that there was a special batch made for the goverment in Holland in the early 50's and they where coded wlh.
this made us believe that the wlj could also be a special batch and after a while i was contacted by a restorer of old H-D's that he bought a batch of old wl parts and there was a wlj crankcase in it with a serial nr.that was 45 numbers higher then mine.
send a pic from that one and my own to H-D and asked them the same question as before.
the info i got back from them was that there might have been a special batch made for the Japanese goverment(it was just after the ww2)(my original tombstone taillight has Harley-Davidson on top and made in Japan at the bottom)
as my bike was imported in the Netherlands back in 1984 from indonesia(former Dutch indies)as a former police bike there could be some truth in this.
The H-D archives only go back to 1963(they say) but i think that the older archives are just on paper and so it would be verry timeconsuming to give a idiot in Holland a answer to a question abouth a bike there not gonna make money on anymore.
A few months later i got contacted by a American who said he heard that i had my Wlj for sale and that he was interested.:eek::eek:
on my question how he got his info and my mailadress there was a lot of BS so that makes you wonder???

Greetz,

Jan

I have seen WLH. I think there are other anomolies from the early years. Not really obscure but the shriners used to have their own designation, still might for all I know. At any rate that is one cool ride, I would never restore a bike like that, you will enjoy it tons more just like it is.

2e WLJ in Holland

Jan and others.

I just bought a 1952 WLJ and it is from Indonesia like Jan told. The man I bought it from left Indonesia and took the bike with him to Holland.

Sweet bike man. My dad bought a 46 back in the day for 10 bucks. Wish he would have kept that bike!

The wounder bike

I to have come across one of these and am trying to find out some more information on it and untill now belived it was the only one. Harly dosnt know anything about the J model so they say and thats the museum go figure. i have heard everything from special production for cage rideing to being manufactured in japan special run to cut labor cost during bad times in the us. that would explaine why Harly tossed the paperwork on this beast. if anyone knows the real deal about this bike please pass it on ,
And yes it is sitting in my living room
[email protected]

Attachments

• IMG_1526.JPG
    IMG_1526.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1514.jpg
    IMG_1514.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1518.jpg
    IMG_1518.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 13