A set of ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junker39

This set has been passed around with the idea that some day, someone will know what the heck it's for. I feel like I ought to know but, the thought process comes up blank. There's no name brand marked anywhere. Thanks.

Attachments

• bit 1.jpg
    bit 1.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 75
  • set 1.jpg
    set 1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 70
  • set 2.jpg
    set 2.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 73
That was my first thought but, what's all the attachments in the second and back row? It looks like something that would be used in a lathe. My local machinist hasn't run across anything like it. The bits have a cutting edge on one side for clockwise rotation. I'm going south today and pass by an ex-uncles' machine shop. He may know. Thanks.

Single edge, deep hole boring bits. The black pieces are centering jigs to help get it all started properly in a large starter hole/bore. Also kept in place to block off the inlet to control cutting oil flow. Check out drilling rifle barrels and that sort of thing. These will drill straight, where the common two flute drill bit we all use will wallow out an oversize hole that will be three sided, especially when starting out. A lot of the time there is a channel or hole down through the bit for high pressure cutting oil to cool the bit and carry out the swarf. Google the topic, you should find lots of examples.

Those things sound like just the ticket for getting broken off studs out of anything. If the stud is down in the housing a ways and you want to start a hole, that back row of things will guide the bit and keep it centred. The front row thingies might bore the stud out without hurting the threads in the housing or block. Maybe, I think.

It's a center set for a lathe. The one in the first picture is called a half male center. These are used when the workpiece needs to be faced.

Latest posts

Back