78 clone build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopper tom

Way too young to be a hippy!
welp statin a new old build!
I had a chopped 78 gmc when i was in hyschool [1990] and have regretted gettin rid of it ever sence then , i tryed to trak it down and had no luck ,so i decided it was time to build a clone of it but with a few modern toches of it !
So fare i have found a good 86 siverado to start with and put it on an old 73 drag fram i started on years agozed in the front 3'' and ntched in the rear so it will set good and low but still have some ride to it[may go air latter ]
found a good 78 front dog hose for it and a good bed [if he ever brings it and an extra top for the roof skin!
Man this build is shure bringing back some good ol memories for me!cant wait to get buisy on the chop this spring if all goes well!!!!lotes to do!
hers some pics of the old and new!!!!
old!
tomsgreentruck.jpg

new!
novasand52006.jpg

finnally got to start the chop on my 78 clone[or '' how to really mess up a perfectly good cab????]
7 hours latter and this is what i got done!!!
clonetruckpics004.jpg

clonetruckpics006.jpg

clonetruckpics010.jpg

clonetruckpics011.jpg

clonetruckpics012.jpg

finnally got to start the chop on my 78 clone[or '' how to really mess up a perfectly good cab????]
7 hours latter and this is what i got done!!!

Tom,
Man... u really have made a mess of things!!! Nah... just kiddin'... that's lookin' really good & I see u took a little more off the top this time!!! Sweet!!!

BoB

went with 8 1/2'' front ,6 1/2'' rear this time .instead of 6'' and 6 1/2''.
cant wait to get the body work roughed in and primmered!

Got the doors welded up today and everything ready for the roof skin to be welded in !
Man this brings back some bigtime memories,i'm haveing a blast!!!!!
clonetruckpics014.jpg

clonetruckpics015.jpg

clonetruckpics013.jpg

Man Tom, You're making that look easy. It's looking good and you're doing it fast. I'm piddling along on mine kinda slow but it's fun. Keep the pics coming. Harleyboy

well got the roof skin welded in and roughed in the fiber glass.Welded in the new trans tunnle and welded up the fire wall! Trile fit the wind shield[ended up with two runs in it ,will try cutting another one latter] .
man o' man have i got a lot of body work to do!!!
yall might wanna buy stock in bondo futures ,looks like i'll be buying plenty on this one!!!
clonetruckpics022.jpg

clonetruckpics016.jpg

clonetruckpics018.jpg

clonetruckpics017.jpg

Welp time to take a brake from it for a while [customers work comin in ]body work on the fire wall is close and the top roughed in and primerd !
So i pushed it back out side and coverd it up for a while,more latter!
clonetruckpics001-1.jpg

clonetruckpics002.jpg

Man the chop is wicked nice , I'd sure like to do that with my 83

excellent work on the chop. Why such a small steering wheel? I've eaten doughnuts bigger than that thing. Well keep up the good work.

excellent work on the chop. Why such a small steering wheel? I've eaten doughnuts bigger than that thing. Well keep up the good work.
The stering wheel ive had sence i was a teenager and it was in my other chopped truck so i want to put it back into service .it has a small nick it it that was made by my class ring and it has a lote of sentamental value to me.

Latest posts

Back