Rust Bomb

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chop509

Infamous Dirty '34
Haven’t posted anything for awhile, thought this might be of use to someone out there.

I know there are those that prefer the patina, but I really like the bare steal look.

My frame and chassis parts are only a few years old, but have been in the weather, and you can see how corroded they are. I hate sanding and was just going to run it this way, but I ran across this product:
http://www.orisonmarketing.com/corrosion/rustbomb/rustbomb.html

It’s cheap, so I thought it was worth a try (check out the site as they offer another product for soaking parts).

I basically, just spread it on with a brush, let it sit for 20 min., removed the excess, scrubbed with paper towels, and cleaned up with wet rag.
Some deep pitted areas required a second application, but it worked pretty slick - no smell and doesn't burn your hands.
Works best around 60 degrees like the directions state, as any higher it seems to dry out a little quick.
Don’t know how well this stuff will work on rusted 75 year old parts yet.

After the parts are stripped, I am applying a coat of Gibbs to protect them:
http://www.roadsters.com/gibbs/

There was absolutely no sanding done in these images.

Rust4.jpg

Rust3.jpg

Rust2.jpg

Rust1.jpg

Later,,,,
Jeff

I wonder if this stuff would work on a stuck engine. I have a 331 caddy motor that I would love to get unstuck. What do you think?

thats AWESOME Jeff, and did you guys notice that is one spoiled 34 ford sittin on its own carpet? Hey Jeff, we should meet up for coffee some time.

Jim

Good tip. I've got some rusty parts that I want to try that on. The only problem is that it is RARELY in the 60 degree range where I live.

thats AWESOME Jeff, and did you guys notice that is one spoiled 34 ford sittin on its own carpet? Hey Jeff, we should meet up for coffee some time.

Jim

Good tip. I've got some rusty parts that I want to try that on. The only problem is that it is RARELY in the 60 degree range where I live.

Jim: Sent you a PM.
As for the carpet, that’s for my old bones, beats lying down on the concrete.

Gastrick: I hardly think “RARELY 60 degrees” is a problem. I envy the weather you and Don get to enjoy.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back