Aluminum Powerglide

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cycledog

A really rusty biker
Ok there is not a transmission section so I will stick this question here.

I know that the shift pattern for an aluminum powerglide is:

P N R D L...but does that translate to the same position at the tranny? In other words is the selector all the way to the rear for L or is that P??:confused:

I'm pretty sure,the pattern for an Aluminum Powerglide is P R N D L.
How that translates onto the trans itself,I don't know.

Had a couple cars with them.'67 Pontiac 4 door,and a '65 Pontiac 2 door.
Both Canadian Pontiacs,so they had Chevy chassis and running gear.

Normally on all the trans that I have worked on is whatever the selector says is the way it is on the trans.Starting with park,R,N,D,L2,L1.This is from front to rear as selector goes through the detents.

Normally on all the trans that I have worked on is whatever the selector says is the way it is on the trans.Starting with park,R,N,D,L2,L1.This is from front to rear as selector goes through the detents.

Thats what I was thinking, but having one of my brain cramps, plus the fact that I am sure the pattern was differnt between the cast iron and the aluminum pg. But I wasn't sure when the law changed that neutral had to be between park and reverse. My pg is an early alum. with the 16 spline shaft.

thanks for the help guys.

GM Shift pattern

The good news is, the GM automatic shift pattern is the same (except for the number of forward gears) P R N D x x x for modern RWD automatics:

Aluminum case Powerglide
ST 300 (BOP two speed)
Turbo 200
Turbo 250, 350
Turbo 400
200-4R, 700-R4 (overdrives)
4L60-E, 4L80-E (electronic overdrives)

and others...

So, for these GM RWD transmissions, Park is where the manual shaft, as viewed from the outside, is turned clockwise to its stop. If the manual lever is pointed down (towards the pan), as it is for stock GM cable shifted automatics, then when the lever is forward all the way, then the transmission is in Park.

This also make sense, since the shift cable is mounted behind the lever, going towards the rear of the transmission, in stock applications like floor shifted Camaros, where the shift cable bracket bolts on with two pan bolts. Most aftermarket cable operated floor shifters are the same way. Remember that a cable is strongest when pulling, therefore the linkage is set up so that it pulls the lever out of Park, which takes more effort than going in to Park, especially when the vehicle is parked on a hill.

Now you can remember if you work that through your mind.

Hope this helps.

440shorty

by the way...

And by the way, unless your Powerglide has some sort of shift kit or aftermarket valve body that eliminates it, the throttle linkage that connects that inner lever (sticks out from the shift lever) to the carburetor is absolutely essential - it is not just for kickdown!!

happy motoring!

440shorty

Thanks, the old hard drive doesn't work some times when I have to go way back into the archives, thanks for the defraging .:D:D

I haven't messed with a pg since the late 60's so please correct me if I am wrong. My pg is a 6cyl version. It seems to me that these had a lower first gear, 1.89? and they were put behind v-8's to get a better hole shot. This was of course before there were better alternatives.

Any thoughts on that?

PG

most had no oil cooling when they have the air holes, converter has a shroud around to throw air, and the 6 cyl is supposed to have a higher stall, run a lot on stock car and no upshift link, also run a lot of them converterless;), a power shift with out conv. is a good dirt track launch when the green flag drops, used a alum flywheel to keep engine running during severe corner brakeing. they were special builds and were cheeper to run than clutches

Latest posts

Back