Avoiding Bump Steer

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob w

Still crazy after all these years!
In the May 1975 issue of Street Rodder magazine, Pat Ganahl wrote an article titled, "Stop Bump Steer". I've kept this mag through the years and refer to it whenever I build another rod. Thought some of you might find it interesting. I know many builders do not adhere to these "rules" and get decent results, with little or no bump steer. But it doesn't hurt to see what the experts suggest.
ef.jpg

de.jpg

I played in a hockey game that got over at 11:00pm. I get so wired that I'll be up very late. Thought I'd post this stuff since I can't sleep.

Bob, those are really very good drawings. I knew about the wishbone one, but the parallel springs and some of the others were something I hadn't thought about. Thanks for taking the time to post them. Sometimes insomnia has it's benefits. :D:D:D

Don

what exactly is bump steer?

As the name implies, when you hit a bump the car will "steer" one way or the other. If you don't have your draglink pretty much on the same plane as your radius rods, the upward or downward movement of the wheel will cause the wheel to turn left or right.

Trouble is, there are no absolutes in this, sometimes you do it right and still get bump steer and sometimes you do something that shouldn't work and it is ok. My '27 should have had bump steer, but never did. My draglink was way off of where it ideally should be. But it is best to try to get them as shown in the drawings.

Don

So in continuing on the "bump steer" topic, can some of you who have experienced "bump steer", tell us how bad it was and where and when it happened?
On the freeway?
Cornering?

What has your experience been?

Thanks, great tech read.:D

Thats good to know.:eek:

I am most lilkely putting cross steer in the Fiat to eliminate that but I wasnt sure just how big of a problem it would be.

Ummm, cross steer good.:cool:

Good Tech....

Great post Bob, I will definately save the drawings.

I have had no bump steer problems on the '22 Dodge,
so I guess I am lucky on that one. Thanks.... '22

Cross steer and Panhard rods

Thats good to know.:eek:

I am most lilkely putting cross steer in the Fiat to eliminate that but I wasnt sure just how big of a problem it would be.

Ummm, cross steer good.:cool:

If you are using a buggy spring, then you need a panhard rod.
This will make sure the axel isn't moving sideways.
Skip the panhard rod and you will 100% sure experience bump steer:)

NielsK

I have not got a lot of bump steer in the T coupe But I am planning on putting a pan hard bar on the 4 bar up front. The only time I really notice it is on the highway going about 80mph and in a turn with a bump in the road. I also think some of it comes from the friction shocks I have them kinda tight.

Latest posts

Back