Mopar Axel Nut

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carrier casting numbers: 2881488, 2881489 (1969-1974).
Pinion depth is set with shims, preload is set with a crush sleeve.
Diff. bearing setting (i.e. backlash) is set with threaded adjusters.

All 8-3/4" carrier assemblies can be identified externally by the casting numbers.

Good luck fellow dry-sider,
-Mike-

I may be using a wrong term here. When I took out the pass. side axel there is a "nut" bearing pre loader, or whatever it is called, around the axel. I thought I had to back it off to get the axel out. When I put the axel back in how tight or loose as the case maybe does this have to be?

the rear end is out of a 65 or 66 later Dodge its a 741 and is not the tapered axel type.

The wheel bearings are tapered rollers. That nut sets the preload on those bearings, through the axles and the block in the diff., on the spider gear shaft. The adjuster should be tightened to zero end play is seen at the axles (Best to use a dial indicator, but I have faked it with good results) then back it off .013-.023, or four notches on the lock system.
If your rear is a limited-slip unit, be sure the little thrust buttons didn't drop out into the housing when you pulled the axle! They aren't supposed to, but sometimes the roll pin that holds them together doesn't do its job. If the button does come out, there's no way to get any preload. The cure is to pull the center section and refit the buttons.

Latest posts

Back