My first build-1938 GMC pickup

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacho

I'm 17 and am buillding my first hot rod with my grandpa (Bob W. of RRR). 2 summers ago my grandpa surprised me with this truck cab. He got a very good deal on it because it was a failed project of some guy that was going into a halfway house. He only paid $37.50 for the cab and it already had the roof cut off and everything! Its gonna be chopped 4.5 in and channled 4 in. Fenderless of course with tall narrow bias ply tires as soon as i can afford them.

untitled-3.jpg

This image shows what i started with. The guy already chopped it so the first task that we had was piecing the roof back together. There is a strip of sheet metal added in across the middle. The roof ended up caving in pretty bad cause we had never chooped a roof before and we didnt even cut it off, but with lots of beating with big hammers and a little bit, or i should say quite a bit of bondo it is back into shape now.

P3190008.jpg

P3190009.jpg

Splice cuts were made on the front windshield posts as well as the back corners of the cab to gain enough flexability to pull everything in allignment after the chop.

2007_0521CameraNew0025.jpg

2007_0521CameraNew0027.jpg

2007_0521CameraNew0028.jpg

2007_0521CameraNew0029.jpg

Since i don't really have anymore pics of the chopping process hear is me building the frame out of 2x4 square tubing

2007_0521CameraNew0030.jpg

Sitting up on blocks, got the cab channled 4 inches in front and in the back there was a little step up in the body so no cutting was needed, also the floor is totally rusted away so no cutting was need there. Also visible in this picture are the cut down box sides off another 38 chev/gmc. I cut them down to about 43 inches, the plan for the truck is short in back long in front (my grandpa calls it the reverse mullet look). The racing slicks are just there because they were close by for mock up reasons.

P7060004-1.jpg

2007_0521CameraNew0031.jpg

back view of frame

Last edited:
Too kool!!!

Zacko,
Dude... that is a really kool project & u got a kool Gramps too! Thanks for sharin' & I'm lookin' forward to watchin' u're progress! I love it when young guns take up the torch... keep on truckin' Zack!!!

BoB

P7060001.jpg

P7070005-2.jpg

P7070006-1.jpg

P7070008.jpg

Custom made wishbones for the front suspension with tierod ends from speedway. The front axle is early 50's ford truck. I'm running a suicide perch for the leafsprings. Tapping the threads on the wishbones kinda sucked but i survived.:D All the brackets seen were fabricated by my grandpa and me. You can see the mock up motor with the original motor mounts, i endend up having to build totally different ones to raise the motor because when the suspension was done and we set it on all four wheels the oil pan was 1/2 in. off the ground! My truck is pretty low. I have lots more pics and will post them as quickly as i can.

Here is another picture of the front suspension minus the shocks.

P7070009-1.jpg

P7280012.jpg

I like this pic a lot, gives you a better idea of the direction i am going on my build. You can see the 38' ford grill shell i will be using, and the free rusty dirt track race headers i got. i like them a lot, they are pretty wide, but unique.

P7280016-1.jpg

P7280014.jpg

Some different angles

P3190014.jpg

Sides for the grill shell made from sheet metal. this is just going to be left like this it looks good maybe not in the pic. You can see the front shocks also.

P3180001.jpg

i got my engine, trans, driveshaft and rearend for free! It was a donor car from my boss, a 1978 nova. It was a driving car and i tested it by driving it around my yard with my buddies over a fourweeler jump. Its a 305 sbc with a 350th tranny. it should be good for the price eh!

P3190004.jpg

Tranny installed and floor bracing welded in.

P3180002-1.jpg

P3190005.jpg

Semi truck gauges installed by me while my grandpa was at one of my three brothers hockey games. Looking out through the windshield into the shop you can definitely tell it is chopped.

Thanks for the support Gastrick and Tripper

2008_0317Johns00331.jpg

Here is a pick from the back with 48 chev tailights lit up by a battery charger, the tailgate is from an early 60's truck or maybe late 50's i cannot remember. Also you can see the lower bumper piece we made so the tailgate fit in better with the 38' box sides. The piece is a little crooked right now because i still need to drill and tap holes, its currently just wdged in there.

I will get more pics uploaded when i find my usb cord.

I agree, this is fun to follow you and your GP building this car. I like the grille choice too.

Are you gonna use those old Keystone mags? I think they look great and are classics.

Don

looks great Zach , This may be your first build , but if you keep hanging out with that BobW guy, you`ll be putting out a car a week .......

I agree, this is fun to follow you and your GP building this car. I like the grille choice too.

Are you gonna use those old Keystone mags? I think they look great and are classics.

Don

I'm not exactly sure what i will be using for wheels and tires, i'm thinking it needs some bias ply tires with whitewalls.

love it

the build is cool. i like the way you are doing the grill, just the shell and some sheet metal. the stance is right on too. it is nice to see some one building brackets instead of buying them. i cant wait to see the finished project.

Pablo

Looks great, I was surprised to see a bent motor. I thought your Grandpa would teach you the ways of the inline.

Latest posts

Back