54 Chevy Street Gasser

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob w

Still crazy after all these years!
2008_0327Johns0029.jpg

My friends Terry & (wife) Lee are building this 54 Chevy with their son. It will be the son's car when done.

2008_0327Johns0026.jpg

This in an interesting build because the original frame is retained in front and a straight axle on parallel leaf springs is installed. The headers and all the mounting brackets are made in their shop.

2008_0327Johns0027.jpg

A tube axle from MAS in St. Paul is used. It has Chevy spindles and disc brakes. A Mustang steering box is used. There are some pitman arm problems to be solved.

2008_0327Johns0031.jpg

So are the motor mounts. They are presently installing an early Bronco 9" rear end using coil overs and Morrison ladder bars. Again, very little is changed to the original frame.

2008_0407trinkets0021.jpg

The front and rear are installed and this is the stance the car will have. Kinda says "Wanna race?" to the guy in the next lane.

2008_0407trinkets0017.jpg

The front suspension uses a MAS axle and Chevy spindles with disc brakes. Terry says the springs feel about right but softer shocks are needed. When I stopped in today, Mike, Terry's son was putting the engine together. Mike, Terry & Lee have all put a lot of hours in the car.

2008_0407trinkets0019.jpg

The 9" rear is suspended by Morrison shock/coil assemblies and located by ladderbars from the same company. The M/T Streets handle the traction.

The tailights look to be 62 Olds 88/Starfire turned 90 degrees. Man I miss my 54.

Attachments

• pic1655.jpg
    pic1655.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Old Gold, I believe you're right about the tail lights. They were in it when Mike bought it. I like them. I agree '54 Chevys have nice lines.

Lookin' good!!!

Bob,
Man... that's lookin' really good!!! Great stance & it's gonna look sweet on da street!!! ; ->

BoB

2008_0509rust0003.jpg

Stopped in Terry's shop today. He's been fighting the 9" Ford rear end. Seems that he used a Bronco that was only available for a short time. It had the srong backing plates on it and one bent axle flange. All my pics turned out like this, so I took a pic of his shop truck for y'all to see.

Latest posts

Back