The spirit of hotrodding twin carb tech

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
I wanted something for the 260, not too much like the 2x4s you can find and not the $$ of the new 3x2 set ups. I has looked at the efi lower but the conversions were still out of budget so I did this;
freeby 302 efi lower (I had to remove it)
Friendly local machinist hogged it out for free too.
Then add a couple of the old pickup truck coolant spacers. I will plumb them in. Now my plan was to just weld them on but free advice from free machist is to make a plate to screw to the plenum that the carbs can be bolted to.
Then I got another 63 260 carb (you could use 500 holleys if you wanted)
I will also use pickup truck carbs to donate the required manual choke parts.
Right now I am less than $40 out of pocket for my homemade inline 4 bbl. Autolite. I figure with kits, welding, linkage ect less than $200 to have it up and running
Whatcha think?

Attachments

• twin carb 260 001.jpg
    twin carb 260 001.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 132
  • twin carb 260 002.jpg
    twin carb 260 002.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 133
  • twin carb 260 003.jpg
    twin carb 260 003.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 129
  • twin carb 260 004.jpg
    twin carb 260 004.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 162
  • twin carb 260 005.jpg
    twin carb 260 005.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 129
Willowbilly3,
Langdon sells Weber-Holley 2 barrels that are progressive for straight 6's. Using two of them would provide 1 barrel for each half of the plenum when cruising. Might be a lot easier to tune. Of course, don't buy new ones, very pricey, but find the same thing on carbed 4 cyl. Ford small cars.

The linkage will take some sideways thinking, but a good start

I haven't head scratched the linkage all the way out yet, got some ideas though.
There are some Ranger carbs that are a 2 bbl with a primary and a secondary and they might be a good idea. I really want to see what all 4 working at once can do. Since they are teeny, .98 venturi, I don't think it would be any different than having a 500 2 bbl. except with 4 in a row there won't be any long runners like a dual plane 2 bbl intake would have.

That really is creative WB3. It should leave a few people scratching their heads too. The linkage shouldn't be too much of a problem should it? Something similar to the linkages used when mounting two Holley 4 bbls sideways on a blower or tunnel ram should work.

That really is creative WB3. It should leave a few people scratching their heads too. The linkage shouldn't be too much of a problem should it? Something similar to the linkages used when mounting two Holley 4 bbls sideways on a blower or tunnel ram should work.

Nah, it won't be hard at all. If I can find an old 300-6 I can get the 90 degree belcrank, then run a shaft down the side with both throttle arms coming off. Atleast one of the throttle linkages to the carbs will need to have adjustment.
I plan to run a similiar shaft down the opposite side for the chokes. Spoon pedal assembly off the 46 pickup. I am trying to keep this whole car in the spirit of the 50s and not buy aftermarket parts but use what the junkyards and my creativity offers up, plus I am trying to keep it as Ford as possible too.

Now, that's what the hobby is all about ! Using what you have at hand & making it work. Looks like you're working this out nicely & will definitely not be the usual.

Latest posts

Back