dimple dies

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonehead

Skull Master
Another new tool. I bought this 2 inch dimple die and converted it over to my 35 ton Iron worker.
Aironworker.jpg

Nice!

Nice die Bonehead but I dount many here have a 35 ton press. Let's see a picture of that big boy!!!

BoB

BH that's some awesome equipment! I've been looking for some smaller dies that do that in the 1", 3/4", 1/2" range that I can use in my wimpy 20 ton press. :(
Do you have a source for something like that? Thanks

Thanks BH. I just ordered a set of dies. Can't wait to use them. I already have some punches and now I can finish the holes with a chamfer. I think that finishes them off nicely. :D

Dimple dies are a nice touch. We use them alot for the offroad application as it adds alot of rigidity. The ones I have found that work the best are made by Leduc. The JMR flares are a little flat. Here are a few I have on my car.
BRIANCAR8.jpg

IMAGE_035.jpg

BRIANCAR1.jpg

The bottom 2 pics are out of 11 ga.

We were just discussing these. What kind of pressure does it take to put dimples in something like 3/16 plate? I imagine a typical 12 or 20 ton press won't do it?

Don

Usually you would use a flare tool die set for heavy plate, you make the hole first and then flare it with a press. In manufacturing they punch and flare heavy plate with one action, but you are correct about the machine.

We use a 40 ton press. The metal starts to curl initially and you need the additional force to try and flatten the metal back out on heavier gauge material. Chromoly is a bit more stubborn than mild steel.

We were just discussing these. What kind of pressure does it take to put dimples in something like 3/16 plate? I imagine a typical 12 or 20 ton press won't do it?

Don

From what I understand the average dimple dies can't handle 3/16" plate. The physical die itself, not the press. Apparently they deform, but that doesn't mean you can't try it. I have dimpled 10 gauge, and it requires about 12 tons to flatten the metal after the dimple. This is all 10 gauge.
1118200763916PM60731.jpg

The 1" dies didn't dimple it very deep, I suspect because of the size, but they still made it more rigid. The 1.5" holes where more defined.

Dimple dies are a nice touch. We use them alot for the offroad application as it adds alot of rigidity. The ones I have found that work the best are made by Leduc. The JMR flares are a little flat. Here are a few I have on my car.
BRIANCAR8.jpg

Where did you get LeDuc dies? I haven't been able to find any? I looked for a long time before I bought mine from Light Racing. I heard the same thing about the JMR dies. But I really like the rounded dimple look you achieved on that piece.

I've only got the Greenlee "by hand" set up. It takes up less space than you big, kool, I want one ironworker......I hate you.......

Ratty 46

Latest posts

Back