New project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inked Monkey

Tarzan's tatted best friend
I've been wanting to build a bike for a long time and I finally decided to go ahead with it. My buddy just gave me his old project for me to finish. I'll post pics when I get it to the house. It is an old yamaha that he stretched, added fatboy tanks, a spring seat setup and converted to a hardtail. It sits just right and should be fun to build. The price is just right too at "free".:D

This will be my first attempt at building a chopper, so I can't wait!!!

I talked to him tonight and found out this bike started life as a 1972 yamaha 650. Now it is "The Thing":D

I think a wise person once said that at least one bike has to be destroyed to make a true chopper.
This one should have a few!!!!

XS650's make great bobbers........................there are plenty of XS650 sites around.........A few guys I work with have them and since I was a Yamaha service manager many years ago they are all ways picking my brain(what's left of it anyway). Post some pics when you get the bike, they were always favorite Yamaha............

Midnight Special!

Inked,
Years ago I bought a Yammi 650 Midnite Special off a friend for $100. It hadn't run in years & I got it goin' in about 2 hrs. Blacked the whole thing out! Drove it quite a lot... near accident & that was that for me! 4 wheelers every since! Let's see some fotos!

BoB

Pictures

I remember when those came out. I liked the look of them. I had a 78 XS500in the very late 70's early 80's. Cafe style. I've got a pic or two somewhere but not digital.

I have pictures too of my blacked Yammi & my blacked out Ghia together. I'll have 2 round them up... maybe Inked can show us what he's got too!!!

BoB

Man, for all the crap luck I have with city hall, I still have some great friends. Another buddy just gave me his RUNNING 80 yamaha 650.:eek: Now I'm gonna combine the two and I should have a sweet bike. I'm gonna go get the hardtail tomorrow so I should be able to post some pics. I'll probably get the other one this weekend.

I always thought that in order to be a true gearhead, you had to walk in your front door and find an exploded bike on the carpet!!!!!!

Here's a 650 I found on ebay. It looks good except the seat needs to be moved back.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yama...ryZ80650QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ape-hangers

Man, for all the crap luck I have with city hall, I still have some great friends. Another buddy just gave me his RUNNING 80 yamaha 650.

Inked,
Looks like u r the go to guy for giving kool stuff away to. ; - >

It looks good except the seat needs to be moved back.

No kiddin'!!! What is up with that? What good r ape-hangers if u're sittin' that close! ; - >

BoB

EW EW I went and got the hardtail, well start of a hardtail. He hasn't finished it up, but on the horse website they have an easy writeup on how to hardtail your jap bike. Now I need to build a frame jig and decide how far I want to stretch it and how big of a rear tire I want. I'll post some pics when I get back from work.

Oh and he has new harley bars on it, that are way too long for me. I'd like to order some clip ons, but they are too expensive. I think I'll just get some drag bars.

I know, I have a bunch of pics that I need to post. My buddy tatted "Bone Collector" on the trunk in some old school writing and also did up the air cleaner lid with some evil pinstriping and a pentagram. Next he's doing the dash.

Hey T2T, you said that you worked for yamaha. Do you know if anybody is still making the kits to re-clock the crank in this thing to make it run like a triumph? My buddy was telling me about it and I'd like to try it. I know you have to buy or have a new cam made, but if it runs like a triumph it'd be worth it.

It needs a lot of work, but between the two bikes I should be able to make one. I need to finish the hardtail conversion and switch the motors over.

I'll post pics of the other bike when I get it home.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Back