55 Chevy Full Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gastrick

One of the Dirty Dozen!
This is an off topic 55 Chevy build but I thought I would post it to give people something to look at and maybe it might help someone along the way. This is a car we are putting together for my brother. It was purchased as an abandoned project. Already installed when purchased was C4 Corvette suspension front and rear. The rear will stay but we changed the front. The wheelbase was off by several inches and the track width was too wide.

This is where we started.......

First order of business was to chop the frame stub off near the firewall and install a new one. The new front frame stub came from Fatman Fabrication and was not fabbed by us.

Bring it on!

Gastrick,
Bring it on... I like to see any build because I usually learn something new or pick up a good tip from what other people are doin'!!! Love to see that 'Vette suspension & seeing a good clip thread is always good!!!

BoB

Next I fabbed up some engine mounts and a transmission crossmember. The 502 Big Block Chevy is then dropped into it's new home.

And with some goodies test fit to the engine.

Not very good photo coverage of this part, but the steering column was fitted and the rest of the steering system was made. When the car is finished, The engine compartment tinwork will cover the steering idler bracket and just the end of the heim joint and shafts will be visible.

Next the engine was pulled out and part of the firewall was removed so that a recessed smooth one could be fitted.

Here's the new firewall and some roughed in, unfinished body work.

Now, these ugly body mount structures needed to be addressed. Even though this area won't really be visible on the assembled car, We decided to make some covers for them. None of the pieces are folded. We just made patterns and welded the pieces together. Threaded tabs were made and welded to the body mount towers and then the covers were bolted to the tabs. This is something that could be used on many different cars to clean up an unsightly area.

Look Mom, no welding table. If you look closely, you can see the glowing spark landing on my leg.

Here's the basically finished body mount covers in place and some sanding completed on the firewall. Trust me. This all will look much better eventually.

THis next part falls under the category of not much fun. My brother didn't want the master cylinder on the firewall or under the floor, so we installed a Kugal 90 degree pedal system under the dash. The bracketry is hard to see in the pictures. There will either be a hidden access panel made or remote reservoirs installed on the finished product.

In the second picture you can see that the gas pedal is also installed. I made a stand-off with studs and welded the unit to the inside of the firewall. That way, no gas pedal bolts will be visible in engine compartment side of the firewall. Since this picture, the brake pedal was also modified and a matching brake pedal pad was added. I don't have a photo though.

that thing looks really good gastrick, i really like your body mount covers, that's a great idea. You are really against bolts arn't you? :D

Very nice!

Gastrick,
I'm with you, a smooth engine compartment is good! Can't wait to see how clean it looks!

BF

Clip

Gastrick,
Your clip install looks really nice but you kind of skipped over that. Any more details about what you did there?

BF

babyface, I wish that frame clip installation would have been better doucumented with photo's but it wasn't. I'll try to gather up the pics that my brother has and see if I can do a tech piece on it for ya.

Me too!

babyface, I wish that frame clip installation would have been better doucumented with photo's but it wasn't. I'll try to gather up the pics that my brother has and see if I can do a tech piece on it for ya.

Gastrick,
I'd love to see that too. Where did u get the suspension for that clip... junkyard?

BoB

Gastrick,
I'd love to see that too. Where did u get the suspension for that clip... junkyard?

BoB

The stainless control arms are Fatman. The rack is a reman. widened unit that came with the stub. The brakes are Wilwood. The spindles are Heidt's 2" dropped. The shock jigs are homade but will be replaced with shockwaves later in the build. :p

Latest posts

Back