engine idling way too high

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could be a lot of things, but first of all I would make sure the throttle arm is allowing the front butterflys to close enough. Disconnect the throttle linkage from the carb (engine off) and see how far you can close the primaries. There is a screw with usually a spring on it that is designed to allow you to speed up the idle. It pushes against the arm and opens or closes it more. Crank it back out a little and see if you can feel the arm retract.

I have also seen where too long idle needles will protrude into the bore of the carb and the butterflies hit them and won't close. Look down the carb throat and see if you can see two little points sticking into the bore.

Like I said, there can be lots of reasons, but first you have to make sure the primaries and secondaries are seating all the way closed and not hanging slightly open, that would be akin to you keeping your foot resting slightly on the gas pedal.

Don

Latest posts

Back