cutting springs...tools?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

59ponchorat

im bored and think i will cut a bit outta my springs on my 59 pontiac to lower it a little more.will a sawzall do the job/plus what type blade would be best?

Sawzall may work with a carbide blade but will take a long time spring steel is very hard. I'd use and have used a cut off wheel and chop saw. Try to keep the heat down and don't use a cutting torch!

Last edited:
sawzall is all i have right now...although i know you can get a cut off tool for about 20 bux...and ive been wanting one...

Cut off wheels are available for 4" angle grinders.

My first choice.
The real narrow ones cut fast,but don't last very long.

Spring removal

i just happened to have one of those handy...how hard is it to remove the spring..?never have did it...

Use care when removing coil springs. Place a floor jack under the lower control arm. Jack up to compress spring, place a jack stand under frame, remove the shock, loosen upper ball joint nut, use a ball joint tool (picklefork) to pop loose the ball joint. Then lower the jack slowly. Always practice safety first. You should have the car on a concrete surface, and well supported with jack stands. The bottom of the spring sits in a cup in the lower A-arm, you may have to pry on the bottom of the spring to pop it out.
Hope this info is helpful.

cutting springs

listen to what poncorat said and follow his advice! It's very dangerous to remove springs unless done the right way, just be carefull!!!!!!.......CR

Just find a torch and heat/collapse one coil, that is the old school way.
You can get hurt bad messing with removal/installation of springs.
Plus using a pickle fork almost always destroys the rubber boot that keeps the grease in and dirt out, so be prepared to replace ball joints if you disrupt that. Maybe you should find a different cure for boredom, seriously. Before you get done you will surely wish you had left that sleeping dog alone.

Use care when removing coil springs. Place a floor jack under the lower control arm. Jack up to compress spring, place a jack stand under frame, remove the shock, loosen upper ball joint nut, use a ball joint tool (picklefork) to pop loose the ball joint. Then lower the jack slowly. Always practice safety first. You should have the car on a concrete surface, and well supported with jack stands. The bottom of the spring sits in a cup in the lower A-arm, you may have to pry on the bottom of the spring to pop it out.
Hope this info is helpful.

I'm sorry but I have to jump all over this one. Removing and replacing springs is something I do on a regular basis in my line of work....... DO NOT DO IT LIKE THIS!!!!! :eek: I didn't see it happen but I saw the results of someone trying to do it like this. Long story short the spring popped like a banana and a three inch section broke out of the coils and to this day is still inside the cinder block wall that it hit. Luckly no one was hurt (or killed). Please do it right and go rent a proper spring compressor to do the job. If your not sure how to use it properly find a friend that does. Cars are fun to work on, but please use common sence and the proper tools, I've seen to many accidents by doing things the McGiver way.

My boss used to say "what are the chances of that happening" I told him it only has to happen once and the chances where 100%. He finally learned his lesson when he was almost electricuted.

Latest posts

Back