My rusty/ratty 1948 Chevrolet truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flipper_1938

He recycles the right way
Its a 48 chevy on a 91 S-10 frame

Here are some of the build up pics.

IMAG0006.jpg

Here are my crazy assed headers. Building these things was a royal pain in the ass! :)
IMAG0024.jpg

The brake booster complicated things.
IMAG0017.jpg

The rear tube couldn't go up and over due to the column and the booster..........so it goes DOWN and makes a full loop before joining up with the other tubes!
IMAG0019.jpg

Here it is mocked up with jaguar XJS seats. They didn't stay.
IMAG0007.jpg

We recycled the original column and wheel. Not 100% sure what is going to happen with the dash either. S-10 pedal assy has been cleaned up, trans tunnel started, floors started
IMAG0008.jpg

I didn't like the jag seats, so....... I made my idea for a modified bench seat a reality.

I used sheetmetal to form the seat back and seat bottom..
IMG_0002.jpg

There is a steel subframe under the seat bottom to help carry my fat ass.
IMG_0005.jpg

The seat back and bottoms are contoured more like a modern seat and will be padded with a couple of inches of foam. (This is just the first layer. Bottom layers are gonna be dense, top layers something more cushy)
IMG_0013.jpg

Doing the seat like this gains a bunch of interior space over the stock set-up. My seat back sheetmetal actually touches the back of the cab. I will sit 3-4 inches lower and about 5-6 inches farther back.

Here is the seat. Sorry, no other construction photos....I forgot my camera that day.

Seat bottom has about 5 inches of foam and the back has two inches.

It is covered in black vinyl and its a good thing .....rust dust comes from everywhere.
HPIM0150.jpg

Here's my dad making motor noises
HPIM0162.jpg

Workin' on the flatbed now.
HPIM0155.jpg

I got the gas tank mounted.

It is a 2005 S-10 blazer tank (plastic tank...no rust flakes to deal with). It don't look like all that hard of a job, but it sure ate up the time. The filler neck is hidden under the edge of the bed.

HPIM0196.jpg

HPIM0185.jpg

HPIM0186.jpg

I also got the boards cut the go under the flatbed. I didn't like being able to see through the truck (under the flatbed)
HPIM0188.jpg

i've seen your truck on other forums and I absolutly love it. the headers look plain mean in that engine bay and the stance is perfect. I also like the direction you're going with the flat bed. do you have pictures of the collectors and the remaining exhaust?

i've seen your truck on other forums and I absolutly love it. the headers look plain mean in that engine bay and the stance is perfect. I also like the direction you're going with the flat bed. do you have pictures of the collectors and the remaining exhaust?

I had never heard of this forum until the other day. I figured I'd hang out here too.

As of now, I don't have any pictures of the collectors, but I am supposed to go to my dad's house this weekend. If I get the chance, I'll pull the headers off and take a few pics.

Exhuast pipes are 3.5" going to the mufflers....not 100% what will happen after mufflers.

Mufflers are Flowmaster sprint car mufflers. My headers were made from sprint car headers too. I bought a pile of racecar exhaust off of ebay for $50 ....I have exhaust raw material for a while!

trunk1web.jpg

trunk2web.jpg

Welcome!

Flipper,
Wow, I love u're truck!!! Welcome to the forum, make u're self right at home & thanks for posting the fotos!!! Great stance & I love the wheels, what kind & size r they. U'll find there r plenty of truckers around here!

BoB

The truck is coming along real good, Flipper. Followed the build over on KB. Glad to have you here. Keep the pics coming.

I pulled the headers out just for you.......

HPIM0200.jpg

HPIM0201.jpg

HPIM0202.jpg

HPIM0203.jpg

I also ran brake lines this weekend.

That sucked on a mostly assembled truck.

Lines go back to the firewall and then down.
HPIM0206.jpg

The proportioning valve is tucked under the drivers side fenderwell.
HPIM0212.jpg

Know what you mean about the brakes. Just did the plumbing on the wife's 47. Like the fab job on those headers, must have been a blast.:rolleyes: I went the easy route. Just a set of rams horns. :)

Know what you mean about the brakes. Just did the plumbing on the wife's 47. Like the fab job on those headers, must have been a blast.:rolleyes: I went the easy route. Just a set of rams horns. :)

The overall process wasn't too bad, just a few rough moments.

I hate throwing away something I had fiddled with for an hour (one of the brake lines) or cutting the headers apart to rotate a tube a tiny bit.

But they are some of the details that make the project unique. It definetely ain't a 1-800 truck.

Latest posts

Back