Chance for 3 transmissions...which one..?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coffinmaker

Banned
Ok kiddies..I went out looking at rear end today..AND was SHE FINE..long blonde hair..OH..sorry.No really..I looked at a 10 bolt today that I saw in the local paper a guy that had it said .." Between me and my neighbor we 3 transmissions for sale..need one..?" What ones do you have..? A short tail shaft 350 TH,and a short tail shaft TH400...my neighbor has the 7004r. How much?..200.00 for each one.Now I told him to hold on to them until I can get back to him tomorrow....Anyone have an idea which one to buy..? And why..? Heard 7004r are the way to go...:D

Try to find out what year the 700R4 is, if its an early one they had some problems. Later ones were improved and are a better choice. You are looking for an 87 and later. They have a very low first gear 3.08 and a .70 overdrive. It's really a TH350 with an extra gear. If its a lock up a simple kit can fix that so no computer is needed. I have one in my 454 425 hp 550 ftlbs of torque Chevelle no problems.

TH400s are bullet proof but are heavy and rob your engine of a lot of power.

Check this link.

http://www.smokemup.com/tech/700r4.php

Check your PM Dave.

i agree with dmw the 700 is the best choice, it has a lower first gear and works well with 373 geared rearend,, i put one in my 78 pickup and my miles went from 9 mile to a gallion to 14 on the high way,, i used a 93 s10 700r,, but i hate autos,, a five speed would be better,, unless ya to old to shift and push a clutch.. lol just kiddng:D

Last edited:
The choice of 3...JUNK

I went back with a guy who knows ALOT more then me to get a better look at all 3 trannys.All 3 are junk...The 350Th has a blown front pump,the 400 TH has 2 cracks in the case..( we wondered why it was freshly painted black..!!!:eek: ) The 700r4 needs a total re-build.Kid said that the shaft is broken somewhere inside and they cant get it to spin.Back to Craigslist...:eek:

I would still grab that 700R4.Just offer the guy peanuts for it and go through it or have it done.
Either way I would hunt down a good 700R4.Thats about the best tranny for a hot rod in my opinion.I wished I would have put one in my car.The 350 just dosent cut it on the Freeway.I even have 3:73 in the rear and the RPM'S are still up there.You just cant beat that overdrive for the lower RPM"S and the fuel economy.

700R4. Grab it for as cheap as you can.

I am going to run a 30.5" tire with 4:10's behind mine. If these internet tire/speed calculators are correct I should run:

67 mph at 2100 rpms

and

96 mph at 3000 rpms

Honestly, I picked mine up (91 model out of a van) with complete motor for $150 on Craigslist. The deals are out there.

Latest posts

Back