TIG welding question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddog

Here he comes to save the day!
I am teaching myself to TIG weld :eek: its pretty cool, but I dont want to drag the foot pedal around all the time. I put a new radio panel in a 59 Chevy truck dash yesterday and wanted to tig it but the foot pedal just wasnt gonna work when I am laying on the seat. I got to thinking why not put that control on the torch? Then I went online to Miller and they have several devices that (I think) do the same function as the foot pedal.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the function of the triger on the torch? I know the answer is yes, so please post away.

Been real busy lately but still keep tabs on you guys. :)

Thanks all.

I personally don't care much for the triggers.
I find it's easier to weld and "vary" the heat with the foot pedal.

I realize you are just starting out, but I'm glad I never went with the trigger.

I can now weld in any position using everything from my elbow, knee, back of my head, etc. to operate the foot pedal. ( I once pulled my shoe off and used only my big toe...lol )

But, that came with years of practice. Also, it makes my "bench" welding so much better in the normal position.

That's just my opinion, I'm sure others may like the trigger.

I know what you mean Wiseguy, there are some tools I can use like you weld (no I cant swing a hammer with my head) but since I am just starting to Tig, I want to try it.

Do you know if they just plug in or do I need some crazy $300 box or something?

I use only Lincoln products, so I'm not sure about the Miller.
I would think it would "bolt up", but don't know for sure.
I would contact Miller directly and speak to a tech rep.
I have spoke to both companies and they seem to have good tech support.

Yes you can put a trigger on your tigg torch. I'm like wiseguy I like the pedal but I'm not as good as he is. If I nod my head I go to sleep. The trigger type devise is actually on a pivot and the farther you push it the hotter the torch gets. They work pretty well on non x-ray work. It'll work fine on you hotrods. Another neat item for a tig is a swivel head torch. you can move the head to any postion[nearly any]. Most heads are fixed but these move incase you are in a tight spot. TP

Even better than the trigger or switch is the thumb slide. I love mine. Takes some getting used to, but overall it lets me weld in some strange spots.

holey crap I jsut realized this topic was ~6 months old

Latest posts

Back