Hooray, My Kid Is Working On His Rod Again !

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

My Son Dan has been buried at work for the past couple of months, and hasn't had the time or energy to do anything much on his '29. But he has cancelled playing jobs (he's a musician too) for a while to free up some time, and has started hitting on the car again. He's really making headway.

It started off as a '29 Murray bodied Fordor sedan, and he initially chopped it 6 inches and did lots of work to it. But then he found a very nice Tudor body, and didn't want to own two sedans, so he cut up the Fordor and built this roadster pickup out of it. He has hundreds and hundreds of hours in the car, and is a fanatical perfectionist. If he makes a bad weld, it ruins his whole week. :p:D That part of him drives me nuts, but I have to admit his work is something I could never be able to do.

Anyway, he pulled the body off of the frame to finish up the floor and rear portion. It had been held on with Cleco fasteners, but last night he got the final welding and metal finishing done on that section. If he keeps going this way, the car will be done for November's Turkey Run in Daytona. I really want to see him make it this year.......we have missed two years worth of deadlines already, and he really deserves to get this car on the street.

Here are some pictures from last night.

Don

Attachments

• dans rpu rear welded up 5.jpg
    dans rpu rear welded up 5.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 102
  • dans rpu rear welded up 4.jpg
    dans rpu rear welded up 4.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 141
  • dans rpu rear welded up 3.jpg
    dans rpu rear welded up 3.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 89
  • dans rpu welded up 2.jpg
    dans rpu welded up 2.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 108
  • dans rpu rear welded up.jpg
    dans rpu rear welded up.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 92
Question

Don,
What are those spike things sticking out on the cab in the second picture? It appears they are securing the sheetmetal to the framework. Yes, your son does incredible work!

Rattler

Thanks guys. Those are Cleco fasteners, and they come with a tool, like pliers. You insert them into a hole drilled through two pieces of steel, then release the pliers, and the fastener opens up to hold the pieces together. They are great for temporarily holding stuff in alignment until you bolt or weld it in place,and have been around forever, but are kinda new to me too.

Here is some pictures of the fastener and the tool. The fastener has a spring inside it, and when you squeeze it with the pliers, the tip extends out so you can insert it into the hole. Then when you release it, it contracts and expands, locking the fastener into the hole. Neat way to keep things held in place.

Don

Attachments

• cleco.jpg
    cleco.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 17
  • cleco 2.JPG
    cleco 2.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 12
His he gonna leave it bare metal? It would be a shame to cover that primo work with paint. How about a satin clear? Your son is an awesome welder and fabricator.

Thanks guys. No GG, he's gonna have it painted, either gloss black or the same color as the engine (some new Ford truck color that I forget the name of). Since 80 % of the body is new, and the rest was nice, it will be no problem getting it straight enough for paint. A freind who has a body shop is going to paint it as soon as he heals up from neck surgery.

I'm really anxious too, to see this thing finally on the road. Dan has missed 2 years in a row of making it in time for the Turkey Run in November, and this year the car has a good shot at making it. That is, if he can stop making changes to it.

Don

Last edited:
Thanks Flat. As much as I don't like saying it, he and I have differing views on rat rods. Let's just say I like them and he is less fond of them. To each his own. :D:D:D:D

Don

PS: As for Avatar changing, just something to keep me busy. lol

Thanks Flat. As much as I don't like saying it, he and I have differing views on rat rods. Let's just say I like them and he is less fond of them. To each his own.
He's young. I was the same way too, until I saw the light :)
Still, doesn't take away from his skill. You must be proud. :D
Tell him we think his work is the coolest :cool:

Don,
I just had to ask about it....

If yall get real bored any time soon, just grab the welder and come on this way. I will even put A/C in the garage.....:D

Don, Can you put up some chassis pice and maybe a pic with the body on the chassis after he finished the windshied frame. I think the folks would enjoy seeing them.

This is a really nice car. I remember watching his thrash for Daytona on another board back when it was a sedan. I love this car. There is really nice work on it.

Thanks for the nice words guys. Sure Flat, "have sawzall, will travel." :D:D

Gastrick, ok, if nobody minds, here are some pictures from the beginning. It will be a little confusing, because it WAS a fordor sedan, and he cut it up to make the roadster pickup out of it.

Here is the sedan after he did a bunch to it already.

Attachments

• dans fordor outside rear shot.jpg
    dans fordor outside rear shot.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 59
  • dans fordor side view.jpg
    dans fordor side view.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 62
  • dans fordor front view.jpg
    dans fordor front view.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Then he found this tudor body in really nice shape, and decided he didn't want to own two sedans.

Attachments

• dans new tudor.JPG
    dans new tudor.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 14
  • dans new tudor home.jpg
    dans new tudor home.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 18
  • tudor home 005.jpg
    tudor home 005.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 16
Thanks 24, I really am proud of him. He has no idea how much talent God gave him, both musically and car buildingwise.

After we got the tudor home, I started seeing the wheels turning in his head again, and pretty soon I saw masking tape outlining a cut he was thinking of doing on the fordor to turn it into the roadster pickup.

Next time I went to the shop he had cut it up, had the body back on the frame, and was mocking up the new panels he would have to form.

Attachments

• tudor home 001.jpg
    tudor home 001.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 48
  • tudor home 002.jpg
    tudor home 002.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 35
  • dans rp start 2.jpg
    dans rp start 2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 47
  • dans rp start.jpg
    dans rp start.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 46
He had to fabricate a whole new subframe to shape the back section of the cab, and this is how he did that.

Attachments

• dans rp framework.jpg
    dans rp framework.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 35
  • dans subframe in cab.jpg
    dans subframe in cab.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 25
  • RPUFramework011.jpg
    RPUFramework011.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 27
Then he shaped 18 gauge sheet metal to cover the framework.

He built a framework to support the bed, and he and I bent and bead rolled new panels to make a new bed for it.

Attachments

• dans rpu rear welded up 4.jpg
    dans rpu rear welded up 4.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 29
  • RPUTonneau2012.jpg
    RPUTonneau2012.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 24
  • RPUTonneau3002.jpg
    RPUTonneau3002.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 49
  • RPUTonneau2011.jpg
    RPUTonneau2011.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 41
  • RPUTonneau2007.jpg
    RPUTonneau2007.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 48
That flip up framework supports a metal tonneau cover. We sent it off and had it punched with 224 louvers.

Attachments

• RPUTonneauLouvers1001.jpg
    RPUTonneauLouvers1001.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 32
  • RPUTonneauLouvers1004.jpg
    RPUTonneauLouvers1004.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 41
  • RPUTonneauLouvers1015.jpg
    RPUTonneauLouvers1015.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back