Does anyone use..?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadRATT

I always see a ton of them for sale on Craigslist and Ebay and starting wondering.Does anyone use the old Powerglides anymore..? I was also wonering if the answer is no..why not.?

I dont use them on street cars. Primarily because they are two speed transmissions, rather than three, or even four as with the later model overdrive transmissions. I think that answer will ring true with most. Other than that, there's nothing wrong with them though.

Where i live powerglides are turning into gold. All the dirt track racers are buying them up. I've never heard anything bad about the powerglide. I have one in my 66 impala, and my cousin has one in his 66 impala 396 SS. I say go for it, it would be a refreshing change from the TH350, TH400, and the 700R4 seems everyone is running now days. Im guilty of this as well, my jeep has a Turbo 350, and my rat has a Turbo 400.

It's always better to have more gears; keeps the eingine in the 'sweet spot' better. Bracket racing is where PG's are popular.

You mean like this? This is going in my 46 Ford. I figure if this can carry a old impassable back in the day there shouldnt be a problem for my roadster cab. Way I see it my ride will weight in around 2000 lbs when finished.
I vote for the powerglide, go for it bro.

God bless

Attachments

• DSCF0687.jpg
    DSCF0687.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF0686.jpg
    DSCF0686.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 29
I am using a PG in my coupster. Why??? Because I wanted to. I have an early(aluminum) model with the air cooling holes. Had it rebuilt by a local race tranny builder, he did some tricks to it. I like it.

A good powerglide is almost indestructable.If your racin its a good trans to have,it'll take the abuse. If your doin alot of cruizin and want a little mpg's then a 350 or 700R4 might be a good choice. If ya can buy these PG's cheap enuf you might be able to make some good $ sellin em to a circle track racer.

You have to spend a lot on these to make them indestructable. A real motor will bust a planetary in no time. Bracket racers and circle track racers only really want the cases and many want aftermarket cases now too.

Latest posts

Back