Looking for help..

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotrod preacher

"Official RRR Chaplain"
was wondering if anyone has any "instructions or directions" for setting up a GM (81 camaro) rear end
I have searched, but found no thread and if there's a particular link to info, that would be greatly appreciated...just don't want a hounddog howl following me down the road!:p:D

HRP, Although I do as much as possible myself, probably do some things I should pay to have done, setting up differentials is something I have left to the experts. A google search should turn up some instructions. Good luck to ya, and, report back if you do it.

hey,i used to do g.m. truck axles for a dealer here under there warranty plan.ive set up hundreds unfortunatly. do you have access to a dial indicator? and white lithuim grease(tube not spray) pinnion depth and back lash is your main settings to worry about when setting up a rear axle.
1 why are you setting it up did you do a complete rebuild? i.e. bearings and all.
or are you just installing new gears?

2 back lash on the gm rear end you have needs to be set at 7 to 11 thous.

i usually use white lithium grease on the matting surfaces of the gears to check pinnion to ring gear ride (wear) patterns.

p.m. me and ill walk you thru it. dp1

here some info and pics to gt you started.

Home | Account | Contact ALLDATA | Log Out | Help SMITTYS AUTO SVC

Select Vehicle | New TSBs | Technician's Reference Component Search:

Conversion Calculator

1992 Chevrolet Camaro V8-305 5.0L VIN E
Vehicle Level Transmission and Drivetrain Differential Assembly Service and Repair Except Borg Warner Four Pinion Differential Drive Pinion

Drive Pinion
Notes

Scribe reference mark between drive pinion and driveshaft yoke, then hold yoke with suitable tool and remove pinion nut and yoke. If yoke shows wear in the seal-to-flange contacting surface, the yoke should be replaced.
Install original pinion nut a few turns on pinion shaft, then using hammer and drift, tap pinion shaft out of pinion housing. Hold gear end of pinion shaft when removing to prevent it from falling from axle housing. On Corvette models, the pinion preload shims may stick to the pinion housing or the rear bearing during removal. These shims must be collected and kept together for use during reassembly.
Remove and discard pinion nut and collapsible spacer.
If being replaced, remove front and rear bearing races from pinion housing using drift positioned in race slots and hammer.
If rear pinion bearing is being replaced, remove using arbor press and adapters. Measure and record thickness of shim which is found under rear bearing.

© 2008 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use

Attachments

• 42190354.gif
    42190354.gif
    25 KB · Views: 7
  • diff.gif
    diff.gif
    6.6 KB · Views: 7
more on setting backla Home | Account | Contact ALLDATA | Log Out | Help SMITTYS AUTO SVC

Select Vehicle | New TSBs | Technician's Reference Component Search:

Conversion Calculator

1992 Chevrolet Camaro V8-305 5.0L VIN E
Vehicle Level Transmission and Drivetrain Differential Assembly Adjustments

Adjustments
Notes

Fig. 11 Checking ring gear & pinion backlash

Ensure pinion depth and bearing preload are properly adjusted.
Install differential case assembly and selected side bearing shims as outlined in DIFFERENTIAL SIDE BEARING PRELOAD ADJUSTMENT.
Install bearing caps in proper position and torque cap bolts to 55 ft. lbs.
Rotate assembly to ensure bearings are properly seated.
Mount dial indicator on housing with plunger bearing against tooth on ring gear, Fig. 11. Use small contact button on indicator plunger so that contact can be made at heel end of tooth and position dial indicator with plunger inline with gear rotation and perpendicular to gear tooth.
Hold pinion stationary and rock ring gear back and forth while reading backlash on indicator.
Check backlash at 3 evenly spaced positions around ring gear and record readings. If backlash varies by more than .002 inch at any position, check ring gear installation and run-out, and correct as needed.
If backlash is not within specifications, remove differential case assembly and bearing shims keeping shims in order.
Backlash is adjusted by increasing thickness of one shim while decreasing thickness of opposite side shim by the same amount in order to maintain proper side bearing preload. Select shims to adjust backlash as follows:
If backlash is excessive, increase thickness of shim on gear tooth side and decrease thickness of shim on opposite side by the same amount.
If backlash is less than specified, decrease thickness of shim on gear tooth side while increasing thickness of opposite shim by the same amount. Each .002 inch change in shim thickness alters backlash by .001 inch.
Reinstall differential assembly, shims and bearing caps, torque bearing cap bolts to 55 ft. lbs., then recheck backlash and adjust as needed.
If side bearing preload was set to zero during side bearing preload adjustment, proceed as follows:
Remove both bearing caps and shim packs, keeping shim packs in respective left or right positions.
Select left side differential preload shim from specifications chart and insert shim between left bearing race and spacer, then install left bearing cap with bolts hand tight.
Select right side differential preload shim from specifications chart and insert shim between right bearing race and spacer using a soft faced hammer.
Install right bearing cap and torque all cap bolts to 55 ft. lbs.
Ensure ring gear teeth are clean and free from oil, then coat both drive and coast side of each tooth with marking compound.
Apply braking force to ``load'' ring gear, then rotate driveshaft yoke with wrench so that ring gear rotates one full revolution in each direction. Test made without ``loading'' gears will not yield satisfactory pattern, and excessive rotating of gears is not recommended.
Fig. 12 Gear tooth contact pattern check

Compare gear tooth pattern with Fig. 12, and correct assembly adjustments as needed.
When proper gear tooth contact pattern has been obtained, clean marking compound from gears.
Install axles and driveshaft. Refer to AXLES DRIVESHAFTS/COMPONENT R&R/PROPELLER SHAFT for procedure.
Install rear cover using RTV or new gasket and torque cover bolts to 20 ft. lbs., then fill rear axle with appropriate lubricant. On models equipped with limited slip differential, add additive No. 1050428 or equivalent to rear axle lubricant.

© 2008 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use
sh with a dial indic.

Attachments

• diffa.gif
    diffa.gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 5
accual Pinion Bearing Preload
Note: Measured at Pinion Yoke Nut. New 15-30 in.lb
Used 9-15 in.lb
Total Assembly Preload
Note: Measured at Pinion Yoke Nut. New 32-55 in.lb
Used 16-28 in.lb
Ring Gear Backlash 0.005-0.009 in
g.m. specs when new wear in will add .2 thous. play.

thanks for the info dogpatch, was planning on changing gears out in my old truck's camaro rear-end, but just aquired a complete rear axle w/posi unit from a trans am that has 3.08's --was hoping for 3.23 or 3.42 but even a 3.08 is better than my 2.73 and w/ posi i'll be better equipped for lowere gears later if i still think i need them.....

Latest posts

Back