holy crap, man!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custom cabby

I had someone (and this was not from a big company) come out this morning to give me a quote to run 220 from my box to my garage to be able to use my welder I just got. Just to give you an idea... he said the box had enough room and it would be just fine, all he would have to do is run it straight down the wall 3 foot and it would be in the basement and then run it through truces approximately 30 feet and then down the wall another 3 foot to a receptacle and mount wire, box and all. Are you ready for this???? $510.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There has got to be an easier way. If the box will hold that and its just running the line and harnessing it in truces, then why is it so friggin expensive???? I know I could do this but dag gone! Any suggestions would be great.

Now that you have a idea and all the directions do it yourself. It's not all that hard to make runs back to the power box.
Mount the 220 receptical box where you want it, run the conduit and pull the wires. Tape all the ends of the wires together and push them through the conduit till you get back to your power box. If you have a fish tape that will help alot.
Let a him make all the connections.
Just be sure you drill if you have to drill any holes that all the holes are in the center of or just above center in any truses and no larger than needed to fit the conduit through.
Could save you a bunch of money.

I'm a big DYI kinda guy, but $510 sounds fairly reasonable for the job - especially the part where your house doesn't burn down.

If you are confident you can do the job right and safe. Save some money and DIY.

I do that kind of stuff myself, but I double check everything, and talk to electrician friends on the hard jobs. On a side note: I nearly wore myself out, after I wired my first 3 way switch, running up and down the stairs flipping the lights on and off.

I do that kind of stuff myself, but I double check everything, and talk to electrician friends on the hard jobs. On a side note: I nearly wore myself out, after I wired my first 3 way switch, running up and down the stairs flipping the lights on and off.

Im glad you said this. I did the same thing but with two trips to Lowes.

You can do it yourself safely if you take the precautions.I do all that stuff myself also.

All you need is a 30 amp 2 pole breaker,The plug for the welder and a box,You can either run 8/3 or 10 /3 wire and the conduit if you really need to.Inside I personally dont use conduit if its inside of walls.

The most expensive part of the job is the breaker.Mine are usually 85.00 because I have and older style box that will only accept Zinsco breakers.

You should be able to do the whole job for under 300.00 or less.

Just check your box and get the proper brand breaker or it wont engage the buss bars.

All you need to do is copy the breaker for the dryer.Its the same.

It also it dose not matter how you set the legs coming off the breaker as long as they are the same when you get to the plug.The only one that you need to make sure that goes in the right spot is the neutral.Which is usually lableled on the plug and you will see where they all are in your box.This is always a white wire normally.

Set you plug up and do all your wiring from the plug to the breaker and do the breaker last.Turn off the Main power for the 10 minutes that it takes to secure the breaker and wire it.

Viola you got it done.Might take you a few hours on a Satarday.

I just built a garage and it was a grand to put a wire from the street to my shop (abt 25ft) with a meter and an empty breaker box. I advertised on craigslist and ended up trading a liscensed electrician a boat for it.

510 for him to do the work and buy the materials doesn't sound to bad at all... Goto the supply house and price out stuff that size wire is not cheap... I had just run a 50amp circuit in my garage for my powder coat oven, it cost me almost 200.00 in stuff alone.

40ft of wire, recept. and some odds and ends ran me about $90. I have yet to get a breaker and then I will be set. I found a family member to hook the breaker up and then I will be in there. I look at it this way, he is on my wife's side so if he catches my house on fire... I sue, and if he french fries himself then no skin off my back (maybe his, but not mine). Just messing around though of course!

i would run some emt as well. and some 8 guage. depend how long the run is you can experience voltage drop. you can check a code book for specs on amps a wire length....

Latest posts

Back