RPM and Gear Ratio's

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnchotrods

I'm wondering what kind of rpm and mph I can expect with the rearend gears and tires I have. I'm hoping someone out there can help....Here's what I have.
I'm running a Model A rearend with 3:78's
Coker tires that are 30.5" Tall
A Flathead with a '46 model 3-speed. I'm not sure of the final gear ratio in the trans.
I know Moroso used to have a chart to figure this out but it's not available anymore.
I'm hoping that I can run down the highway OK without winding up the flathead too much. Anybody know?

Thanks

That's the calcutator that I'm looking for, thanks. The only problem with it is what is the ratio of 3rd gear in my transmission. I was only told that it was a 46 model from a car. Any idea's on how to find that out without pulling the trans apart?

You'll be right in the ballpark. Most Fords of that era ran 3:78 type gears, some were even 4:11 (generally overdrive 3 speeds though) You are running a tall tire which will bring your final ratio a little higher. The only thing you might run into is if you expect this thing to cruise down the interstate for extended periods over 70 mph. That is why a lot of flathead guys are going to 5 speed transmissions for the overdrive and deep first gear.

Don

Thanks again

Thanks for the final ratio info. I've been told that they all had a 1:1 ratio in high gear. I won't be driving it down the highway for too long, but I wanted to be able to get out there and not get run over. The calcutator showed that it will only be turning 2900 at 70mph. I 've also been corrected on the year of the tranny. It's a '37. It's a top loader and therefore it couldn't be any newer than a '39.

Latest posts

Back