Recycled Street light Air Cleaner / Scoop

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder1

Well, I have to hand it to our friend Bonehead! He has once again proved his metalworking talents. A month or so back I had an idea to fashion a carb mounted scoop/air cleaner from an old cast aluminum street light fixture that reminded me of a 60's style drag scoop. The only problem was I really didn't know how to approach the fabrication. So I contacted Bonehead with the idea and shipped the fixture to him with some rough sketches of my idea. I knew if it could be done he would find a way to do it. Sure enough, he recently shipped it back to me and I couldn't be happier. I plan to mount it to a single 4 barrel so he fitted it with a 2" riser and cut and welded it all together. It will mount to a 5" 3/8" carb with no problem. I plan on using a parts store air cleaner tin inside with a small diameter filter. The wing nut for that will hold the entire thing on the carb. I think you'll agree it looks really cool! I plan on leaving the natural patina to better match my cab.
Here's a few before & after pictures.

Thanks again Bonehead!

Thunder1

Attachments

• Nov 29 2008 236.jpg
    Nov 29 2008 236.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Nov 29 2008 240.jpg
    Nov 29 2008 240.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 77
  • airscoop1.JPG
    airscoop1.JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 82
  • airscoop2.JPG
    airscoop2.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Street Light Air Cleaner Part 2

Here is the best shot of the scoop. It wouldn't download in my previous post. Go figure?

Attachments

• airscoop4.jpg
    airscoop4.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 86
That's a very cool scoop. You had good insight to see a scoop in a street light, & BH did his usual stellar job in the conversion. Since I'm afraid of heights, I'll never have one.:D

Street Light Scoop

Thanks Bob!

My idea, but BH is the one who pulled it all together. He's a smart guy to follow my crude draft sketches of the scoop like he did and make it work. I'm really pleased with how well it turned out. It took some time for me to think about it. You don't know how many times I've just sat down and stared at it trying to picture the finished scoop. At my job site last summer they were replacing 24 modern light poles and fixtures with repro's that were more historically accurate from the early 1900's. So we had a pile of the modern ones just waiting to be hauled away for scrap. The more I looked at them for several days the more they reminded me of a scoop if I could just find a way to modifiy one. I asked If I could have one and the project manager gave it to me. So with the help of my sawzall I had my fixture. He thought I was nuts for wanting it. :eek: Especially after I told him what my plans for it were. :confused: :D I wish I had picked up several more but being cast aluminum they were worth alot as scrap to the project manager. I'm constantly searching for unique potential rat rod materials. It's a part of the adventure and fun to me.

Thunder1

Latest posts

Back