inline honda four/indian four replica

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannaby

Hi guys one bike I have always wanted was an indian four but of course they are out of my price range ....I have always wondered if there is a market for a modern version of this and have always wanted to build something along those lines.something like a 750 honda four turned sidways mounted to a shaft drive virago,bmw or. any other type shaft drive.can you visualize that and or am I just nuts.Some photo shop tricks would be cool for starters.

I'm not into bikes really, but I do like the base idea. Some would call trying to make a Indian clone out of a ricer offensive I suppose, but I say why not?

Yes I hear ya kind of an insult to the indian four .but always wondered if there would be a market for something like this as ya see how well all the jap clone copys have done ,the triumph rocket three comes close just forgot a cylinder and I have seen one made out of a nimbus that came close to honoring a real four.I think it would look better than all thos gross boss hogs rolling around.something along the lines of a simple clean sleek old scool looking tasfully done.would be nice If I could do photoshop.to illistrate my idea.Den

Connecting to the trans might be an interesting challenge.

Most inline 4 cyl don't have the primary drive chain
coming off the end of the crank.

You would have to chop off the transmission,
since they are one piece with the crankcase.

I saw a 4 banger out of a car in a Indian frame. It looked decent for what it was. You know there still a few older Indians that you can get for a fair price. They made a bunch of 30/50s or 500 cc . I think that they were just over 30 cubic inches. They go pretty cheap. I saw a miltary one sell for $4,000. not too long ago. Anyhow it would be hard to get a Honda inline four in one because the motor points the wrong way. The closest thing would be one of those new Triumph inliners. BTW Ive been riding bikes a long time and other than some teasing I think the whole "Harley guys hate Hondas" is bull. It dont really matter, Ive seen some nice Hondas. My buds got a VTX1800 that is alot faster than my 88.

I was thinken shaft drive connected to the sprocket shaft.And I already have a chief and a 30/50 jr scout if you can find me a real 4 cylinder running indian for under 20 grand ill buy it.They go for 50 and up.

Hi Ian thanks for the link yes Iv been reading the virtual indian site since it came out thats where the nimbus four is ...some guy in sweden has been building it...

Some picks

what do ya think guess Im not the only nut case around here.

Attachments

• amd-winners-large_06[1].jpg
    amd-winners-large_06[1].jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 63
  • amd-winners-large_07[1].jpg
    amd-winners-large_07[1].jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 67
  • amd-winners-large_08[1].jpg
    amd-winners-large_08[1].jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 82
  • amd-winners-large_09[1].jpg
    amd-winners-large_09[1].jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 92
  • amd-winners-large_10[1].jpg
    amd-winners-large_10[1].jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 54
MMM...I dont think he cast a new crankcase mayby cut the back down to remove the stock tranny then somehow adapted the bmw trans....lots of mods anyways I shot him a few emails praising his workmanship and asking for build picks but he never responds back.You would think that honda or yamaha could produce a nastalgia bike based on this concept.I would buy one in a second.
Alan forbs has built one here but it is fuggly and big bucks.
http://www.dakotamotorcycles.net/History.htm

Attachments

• 122_0012_01_z+dakota_four+side_view[1].jpg
    122_0012_01_z+dakota_four+side_view[1].jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Photo.8[1].jpg
    Photo.8[1].jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Photo.14[1].jpg
    Photo.14[1].jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 51
  • photo01b[1].jpg
    photo01b[1].jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 46
The big problem I see would be getting enough air flow to cool the rear cylinders. The old Indians and Ariel square fours had this problem and the Honda probably would too. The rear cylinders would always wear out first. Even the rear cylinder on my Harley runs a lot hotter than the front one. Neat idea for a show bike though!

34 Chevy 3 window coupe
75 Harley Sportster XLH custom

Mayby but I am shure that could be overcome with mayby a radiator or a fan...look at the triumph rocket 111.They just forgot on cylinder thats all.But I will say it still is kind of ugly with that big honkin rad on the front....what about nimbus do they have overheating problems...

Attachments

• 2010-Triumph-Rocket-Roadste[1].jpg
    2010-Triumph-Rocket-Roadste[1].jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 36
Don't know what a Nimbus is, or if there are any over here.[S:confused:

The TQ Midget guys used to cut the trans off Japanese 4 cyl motors,
and adapt a coupling for a U-joint on the end of the crank, to save weight.
So it might not be a major crisis, with the right motor, to adapt it to a
BMW or Motoguzzi trans.

There might even be a Japanese trans that could work.
I think they did make a v-twin 'guzzi look alike.
Don't remember if it was chain drive, or shaft drive.

Cooling the rear cyls, on an air cooled motor, could be aided
with some scoops to direct a little extra air in the right places.

Saw a water cooled chopper, with the rads mounted behind the motor,
an electric fan helped with airflow. He did a good job on the plumbing, so it looked decent.

Check these links out ian I would be happy with a nimbus they can be picked up for soemwhere around 10 to 20 g,s depending on condition just not many around here in canada made in denmark and still lots of parts avalable....I have researched them abit looking under denmark buy and sells but they are all in danish ...there is a club over here just google nimbus lots of info..you probably have already ....right...Den

http://www.bikeexif.com/nimbus-motorcycle

Attachments

• nimbus_motorcycles[1].jpg
    nimbus_motorcycles[1].jpg
    153 KB · Views: 61

Latest posts

Back