I am looking for...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galaxie50059

Argonne, Wisconsin(somewhere between Chicago and C
a kit to mount a rear axle under a 1946 Ford car. The original axle is long gone and I have a 9 inch from a late 50's car that is under it currently(its just sitting there and not bolted up). Since the wheels and eveything fit inside the fenders and it is the right width and all, is there a bolt on kit somewhere that I can use to attach this rear axle? I understand it will most likely be a one size fits all thing with drilling and maybe some welding involved. Any ideas?

axle mount

You can buy spring mounting pads from your local trailer dealer, and U-bolts etc from O'reilley, Auto Zone etc, just make sure your pinion angle is right when you weld the pads on the axle... I understand that about 1 or 2 degrees of down angle is about right.

You can buy spring mounting pads from your local trailer dealer, and U-bolts etc from O'reilley, Auto Zone etc, just make sure your pinion angle is right when you weld the pads on the axle... I understand that about 1 or 2 degrees of down angle is about right.

Should be the opposite of what the output shaft of your transmission. Which is generally down, so rear end is usually up ~ 3 degrees or so.

Should be the opposite of what the output shaft of your transmission. Which is generally down, so rear end is usually up ~ 3 degrees or so.

How do you set pinion angle when you have variable ride height (like when you have bags)? I presume you set pinion angle w/ everything set up for normal ride height and then just don't worry about it when you drop it down or whatever??

Latest posts

Back