I want a bike... what to look for?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rad Rob

I'm looking for something to cruise around in when I don't have enough cash to drive the '53. I'm 6'4" and about 200 pounds, I have about $2,000-$2,500 to designate for this project. I can weld and do most of my own engine work. Any suggestions on what I should look for?

You might try to find a newer virago....I have a 81 and love mine.
bikecuda.jpg

bikes

You should be able to find a good used metric around that price.

If you are interested in a project rat bike. I have a Redneck Engineering Mutant Buell Chopper for sale, made from a 97' F1 Lightening, crank is lightened, ported, polished,.. runs like a scald dog. just needs the wiring finished. If interested send me a message. located in Central Ohio.

Attachments

• Picture 351.jpg
    Picture 351.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Picture 366.jpg
    Picture 366.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Picture 369.jpg
    Picture 369.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Picture 371.jpg
    Picture 371.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Picture 352.jpg
    Picture 352.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 37
If you want to make alot of changes (new frame) you should aim for something with a chain. If you want to do small changes (a little lower or cosmetic things) them a shaft drive is the $#%@. The shaft limits the location of your rear tire. Other than that, it is pretty much about personal taste. I prefer older bikes, partly because I like to build my own frames, but also because I don't care for all of the electronics in the newer bikes. Any monkey can fix a points ignition but a bike with a "brain box" gets expensive fast when it decides to crap out. Hope this helps and post photos!

Attachments

• smallbike.jpg
    smallbike.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_nextbike1.jpg
    IMG_nextbike1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7745.jpg
    IMG_7745.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 32
Basicly I'm after bare bones, points, kick start, chain drive, hard tail, spoke wheels. I plan on a model A tail light in the rear and for some reason I want a brown leather seat. I stole this pic from the web, but this is what I'm after.

bdae3052f84db5af27c6dda5b0a85707_large.jpg

For a bike like the first one, find an old Yamaha 650xs. They go like stink, are pretty cheap and are rock solid simple. Then use the $ you have left over to build a frame (or have one built). A site called chopperbuildershandbook is n awesome resource for info and plans for building anything chopper/bobber related. E-bay is where I get any parts that can't be scavenged from the original donor bike.
The second bike could be built from a late 90's/early 00's metric harley wannabe cruiser. It would cost more to buy, but you would be able to use the stock frame, controls and wheels. You could spend whatever you had left on a little paint and an exhaust. Throw on a seat and high bars and you would be about done.
Either way you go, build what YOU want. Don't let your buddies or the internet commandos tell you what is cool. Just know your limits, talent/skill wise and keep it safe. "Safe" is a realative term, It is a motorcycle after all.

floodiebike.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the advise. I know exactly what I want to build, but I wasn't sure where to start. Thank you for posting about the xs650, the early 70's models have everything I'm looking for.

Nice ride by the way. :cool:

check craigslist in ur area and look for a 70s honda or kawasaki and make sure to get something that runs nice, thats about 75% of the battle won right there. then get a sawzall to cut the bike in half and junk the ugly ass rear section and weld on a hardtail. then get urself a cheap used sportster tank, some handle bars because the stock ones suck, springer seat, and put the front fender on the rear and ur done! then after u wear out the tires from riding get some whitewalls. here's a buddies 75 honda cb550.

Attachments

• zbike.jpg
    zbike.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 67
  • zbike1.jpg
    zbike1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 31
check craigslist in ur area and look for a 70s honda or kawasaki and make sure to get something that runs nice, thats about 75% of the battle won right there. then get a sawzall to cut the bike in half and junk the ugly ass rear section and weld on a hardtail. then get urself a cheap used sportster tank, some handle bars because the stock ones suck, springer seat, and put the front fender on the rear and ur done! then after u wear out the tires from riding get some whitewalls. here's a buddies 75 honda cb550.

what a piece of garbage! man
he should sell it to a chick
cause thats a chick bike for sure ;]

Get a Sportster. You can pick one up for that kinda MONEY IF YOU SNIFF AROUND. AVOID '70 AND OLDER Sportsters. They are kick only and have a reputation of being difficult to start. Theres a ton of after market frames to choose from too. I personally like Early 77 to 71. Avoid '79 to 81 because they are a short production and they make fewer parts for them. Evolution Sportsters are good too (late '85 -present). If you can go 5 speed (91 & up) . 883 are easy to make into a 1200cc its is only about 200 bux in parts. I like a lot of Japanese bikes too, but they are hard to get any money back out of them. $3000 should get you a solid bike and if things tighten up for you ($$$$) you can get most of your money back,.

i forgot to mention theirs probably about $1500 into the bike above including purchase, and i fires 1st kick everytime!

I took a 3 hour drive to New York this weekend and picked up this 1975 xs650 for $200. It's been sitting in a barn for 10 years and needs some work because of all the moisture, but it's complete and I have a title.

05-02-09-193718.jpg

05-02-09-193801.jpg

You might as well order up a stator and a rotor assembly. They demagnetize after sitting that long and wont charge. You can maybe get away with out the stator . See if its open with a meter. I bought a few of those over the years and that rotor magnet always seemed to be dead. Dont know how to check the rotor magnet. If it wont charge and only runs off the battery, its most likely why. Good luck with that . looks like you did OK.

Latest posts

Back