55 chevy trans question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev Tex Devlle

He's workin' 4 da Lord, in a '46 Ford!
hey guys , i need some help,,, what is the p[attern of the bellhousing, on a 55 chevy trans mission,, that came with a 6cylinder? i want to put a fivespeed behind one!!!but if its too much to do,, i will look for a newer model! i have used the search but notning to say , this is it,, thanks tex

Last edited:
You might want to take a look at these two links. I'm not sure if they will answer all your questions but they are very informative.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20583

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2787988

Keith[/QUOTE

thanks keith, i guess what i should have said was, is the trans mission bolt pattern the same from 55 up, bellhousing to motor? on the inline 6 .. i have a chance to get a completely rebuilt, 55 motor,, and need to know what bellhousing pattern the inline 6 will except!!,,
forgive me i am dislexic, i post things backwards, then i have to go and rearrange what i am asking!!!:D,, tex

Last edited:
Rev Tex Devlle,

The Chevy inline six bellhousing to engine bolt patterns are the same from 1937 to 1961 or 1962, I'm not sure which. After that, they changed to the same bolt pattern that the Chev V-8's use. So there are in fact two different bolt patterns, depending on which generation engine you have.

Rev Tex Devlle,

The Chevy inline six bellhousing to engine bolt patterns are the same from 1937 to 1961 or 1962, I'm not sure which. After that, they changed to the same bolt pattern that the Chev V-8's use. So there are in fact two different bolt patterns, depending on which generation engine you have.

thanks man ,, i guess i will be passing the motor i found up!! i want to do this as easy as possible,, so i should look for 63 or later?

Latest posts

Back