Donor Car with TBI?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigIrish

I have a line on a cheap 87 suburban with 350 w/TBI and 4spd auto. I understand the TBI is a very simple form of fuel inj, but a little concerned about the difficulty of transplanting the motor & electronics. I'm sure its not THAT hard, but open to input. I bet the tranny is electronic and has a module too right?

Thanks!

If the 350 tbi is like the piecer 2.8 tbi in my s-10 then ya figure as long as you gather all of the necessary engine electrical components then it should work. The only other problem I'd reckon you may run into is the fuel system pressure deal those tbi engines need

Just a thought, but shouldn't TBI be a snap to change over to a draft carb system? 87 wasn't that complicated yet. Not suggesting going backward, but if the TBI didn't work out, you'd have a Plan B.

I hear you can easily change it over to carb, but then you gotta scrounge a carb or shell out for a new one. I think the tranny is electronic too though, so you'd need to transplant that module as well, wherever that is.

Its tempting but I think I'll be awash in wires and regretting it. Probably be better to hold out for something pre-computer.

MSD

Irish,
MSD makes some cheap boxes now that should work for ya. Check their site or ck Jegs/Summit catalogs.

BoB

If you are a stingy SOB like I am, the cheapest/simplest way would be to move EVERYTHING (fuel tank w/pump, wiring harness, tbi system, ect) from your donor to the project. A little more labor but worth it to be sure everything works as intended, IMO.

Seems to me TBI would require alot of work, I think since it is fuel injected ,would require a high pressure fuel system. I do not know if that requires return line to the tank or not. There would also be the electronics required to run it as well...

However it would not take much to slap a carb on it as well. If it is a 700r4... and I think it is...you could still take advantage of that tranny and use ...Speedway Motor sells a 700 R4 trq converter lockup kit. Part number 910-64038 Get some MPG out of it

If I am wrong on any of this ... please let me know... hope it was some help

I think the swap would be well worth doing, I have an '88 GMC with the same motor and trans and it is powerful and easy to fix. Also if it an '88 it will be ready for a roller cam, it may not have one in it but would be easy to convert to roller you just need to get the "spider" retainer and the roller lifters from a junkyard cheap. Then buy a roller cam and add some power.I also think that the intake on those year engines are different than standard smallblocks and would require modification to add a carb and carb intake. I hope this helps

Latest posts

Back