How would YOU go about this?... Rust through.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelseydum

Anyone want to share how they would go about repairing something like this. I'm new to this and am probably doing it the hard way. I would like to get it as nice as possibly with metal before going to bondo.

1-20.jpg

This is what I've been doing... just welding up the holes (very carefully). I put a half inch strip on the inside on some parts to have some back support. I was just wanting to see how others go about this.

This is pretty ugly and needs some grinding, but this is what I'm doing.

3-17.jpg

2-20.jpg

I think you are doing a fine job. You have room inside to leave metal in, if you didn't brass or copper would work to back the welds then remove. Just be careful when you grind looks pretty thin.

Where I added the backing strip it's holding up fine. I did some grinding on the areas I just welded up (with no backing; I tried with no backing to test my welding skills and I'm doing ok) and I may need to repeat the process a couple of times here and there. I know it's time consuming, but I want to do it right.

Thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Back